Tap Repair?

Hi All!

I posted my concern in another section without relpy, so here with go again! Perhaps this is the appropriate subsection. I have a tap on my SR3 that I believe is in need of repair, and I was hoping someone could point me int he right direction. 

I have a CEI Color Six Tap on my SR3. I am only seeing a black signal outputted to the monitor. When I hold a flashlight to the subject in front of the lens I am able to see some sort of image, but still a very dark and odd looking one. I know this is very little information, but I was hoping to learn if others have any suggestions, or can even offer any reliable repairmen. I called Duall who stated that repairs may cost as much as buying a new HD tap that is being designed by one of their employees (~2k if I recall correctly. Although I believe that number is not an exact quote as of yet). I am not looking for HD output specifically. I am fine with the SD tap and would love to get it up and running if possible, and within an affordable range I hope! Thank you! 

• Premium Member

Have you followed all the set up procedures as detailed in the manual? Things like focus and iris settings?

Is it like this:

http://movie-mobile.com.preview8.logate.co.il/userfiles/downloads7_15_file_url.PDF

Diagnosing this sort of vague issue is virtually impossible.. is the monitor compatible, are the settings correct, cables ok, tap set up correct, do you have a split prism diverting some light from the viewfinder etc?

If it’s an electrical fault with the tap itself you’re probably better off sourcing another one.

Thank you for the response Dom. I believe all internal and external settings are set as described in the manual. I used an appropriate external monitor for testing. Additionally the Color Six also uses its own monitor to project the image. Both the onboard and external monitor showed the same image, and on both output A & B. I suppose I have nothing to lose by having someone local inspect the electronics for me, but it sounds like I may need to consider finding another tap. Thank you again. 

• 1 month later...

Hello all again.

I decided to open my CEI again just to see what was going on. There was a loose screw I had to put back in place since it was jingling around. Here is a picture of the inside of the CEI.. Nothing stands out as odd to my everyday eye. There is some tape with a note, which only makes me believe it may have had some servicing or work in 2002. One thing that stands out to me on the CEI vs. the few pictures I have seen elsewhere, is what I believe to be the lens on my tap. It appears different compared to ones I have seen in pictures online (and in the manual), and it makes me wonder if I am supposed to have some other lens over this piece. 

I have included a picture of mine (laid out and open) and a picture from the manual that shows this other lens.

Any and all information and suggestions are appreciated! 

image1 (2).jpeg

Screen Shot 2019-06-04 at 2.48.42 PM.png

Edited by Evan Samaras

some more pictures in case anyone decides to chime in...

You can see the tap running here. The monitor is shooting back some distorted image. I can make out my hand and each finger when it is placed in front of the lens. My own tap does not have the same lens as the one in the manual's image above. Has mine been replaced, or is it totally missing and may be to blame for the lack of quality image I am describing?

I've been considering finding an elbow and purchasing a cheaper b&w tap and monitor. Thoughts?

image2.jpg

image1 (3).jpg