Process Trailer camera car shooting

David Grauberger

Hello all, 

I've got a dialogue scene in a car and for several reasons we're thinking renting a process trailer  would be the best approach.   It'll be my first time using one however I've filmed several times out of trucks with jibs.  

Just wondering what pitfalls we might run into.  Its a Day scene.  It'll be a simple rural 2-lane road (two people on a road trip).  They each have lines and we're thinking of standard driver side window, reverse from passenger side.  Possible 2-shot from hood and maybe some coverage from behind with cam in the back seat.   It'll be a single cam shoot 

I'm thinking we'll be on alexa mini or red with an angenieux 16-42 or zeiss 15.5-45 for our shots.  

?format=750w

Any info would be greatly appreciated!  

The most usual issue here is when shooting through the windshield.  The sky reflections, depending on the car, can make it hard to see inside.  What we often do is to shade the windshield with a large black cloth on a frame, to eliminate the reflections.  And this also cuts the light from the actors in the car, so one needs also to light them from the platform, as shown in your photo.

• 1 month later...

What do you guys think about a gimbal on a hostess tray?  I have dialogue scenes and I want drivers and passenger side 2 shots.  The car will be up on a process trailer but I'm wondering about road vibration.  I'm planning to do a hostess tray or similar setup with my key grip.  Will hard mounted be stable enough?  Or will I need to put a gimbal on the hostess tray?  Wondering what you guys think..

2 hours ago, David Grauberger said:

What do you guys think about a gimbal on a hostess tray?  I have dialogue scenes and I want drivers and passenger side 2 shots.  The car will be up on a process trailer but I'm wondering about road vibration.  I'm planning to do a hostess tray or similar setup with my key grip.  Will hard mounted be stable enough?  Or will I need to put a gimbal on the hostess tray?  Wondering what you guys think..

If you use a gimbal, it will be harder and more time consuming to rig, so keep that in mind.

Hard mounted to the car will show all the shaking, and might even be desired. The gimbal will show a smooth background with shaking car and people, and you might like that effect as well.

Also, on a trailer you may not need hostess trays if the trailer is wide enough. You can just strap down a tripod to the trailer.