SONY VENICE - Anamorphic to 16:9

Hello everyone

Our next upcoming documentary production is scheduled to use the Sony Venice camera, the director would like to shoot the bigger part with anamorphic lenses just for the look and feel of it so not because of the wider horizontal angle of view.

We are looking to buy/rent a set of Atlas Orion lenses for this which has a 2x factor in combination with their new LF adapter ring. However, the final results need to be mastered in native 4K resolution 16:9. I'm planning to shoot Full Frame 3:2 6K resolution and put some 16:9 / 1.78 framelines in the viewfinders and monitor to guide us while framing.

But do we still make the 4K resolution if we cut off the image that is out of the 1.78 frame lines?

Thanks a lot

Kevin

Screen-Shot-2017-09-06-at-11.01.17-AM.png

• Premium Member

Shooting 2x anamorphic for a 16:9 aspect ratio means you will be cropping down to 8:9, or about 0.9:1. Even if the lenses cover the full height of the sensor, you would need to crop the full 6K frame of 1.5:1 (3:2) down to 0.9:1 which is a significant loss, a 3/5 reduction in width. 3/5 of 6K is 3.6K. It’s possible you may have to crop in even more if the lenses don’t fully cover.

Hello Dom 

Thank you very much for the explanation, much appreciated. So doing this will not give us a full 4K resolution but more or less 3.6K.

The Atlas Orion lenses are covering the entire Full-Frame sensor with the adapter ring, we're just loosing 1 stops of light with it.

On the CVP.com website, I did a sensor check with the lenses without an adapter ring and if I cut the footage out of the 1.78 frame line I would keep 3584 x 4032 so just not enough to keep the 4K resolution (3840 x 2160).

The vertical would stay the same, only in horizontal I'm losing coverage.

Screen Shot 2019-04-20 at 2.52.56 PM.jpg