Arri Alex LF 4:3

Saba Mazloum

Hey friends, 

Wanted to know if anyone tested out shooting 4:3 ratio on the Alexa LF? I'm guessing id need to use frame lines then crop in post yah? I would get shallower depth lets say using i7COOKE lens than using the Alexa mini 4:3 mode using lets say S4 lens right? 

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. 

• Premium Member

Works out to be a 1.4X difference in 4:3, assuming 4:3 on the LF is 4117 x 3096 versus 2880 x 2160 on a regular 4:3 Alexa.

So assuming it's the difference between shooting at f/1.4 on a regular Alexa or f/2 on an Alexa LF, that's about a .4-stop difference in effective depth of field for a 1.4X increase in pixel count.  Maybe better dynamic range in the shadows due to less noise on the LF, more due to the smaller degree of image enlargement.

Best thing would be to shoot a comparison test with a ARRI Master Prime at f/1.4 on a regular Alexa versus a Cooke 7i at f/2 on an Alexa LF.

That’s for sure a considering factor no doubt, actually tomorrow ill be testing out the LF , Red Ranger, Mini and maybe Sony Venice to see which one will suit best for my current project. 

Have you had experience with the Ranger ?