Cutting off closing credits on TV

Vital Butinar

Hey guys.

So I was sitting back and watching a movie that was just ending.

Well the movie ended and I noticed that they just cut of the credits and just put a screen with some rudimentary information (director, producer, lead, etc.) but it got me thinking that I understand why they do this. It's so that there is more time for commercials and that the person watching doesn't change the channel because of the 20 minute gap between movies.

On the other hand I don't think it's right for somebody to just chop of the ending credits even though some information is displayed. Also what about movies that have post or mid credit action or show some goofs or something.

What do you guys think about this?

If you made a movie and it was aired on TV and someone cut of the credits not showing everybody who worked hard to make that movie and only highlighted a few. Would you be OK with that?

I know I'm not and maybe I atribute this to not have been doing this for that long but I really do value everyone of my crew members and want them to be accreditare appropriately and not just financially. 

Anyway just something I was thinking about.

Best regards

Vital

Well you gotta consider how many other things they do with your movie for it to go to TV. Censoring certain lines, chopping out scenes for time, changing the aspect ratio and cropping out important shot elements. The credits being cut out is the last of the filmmaker's worries.

If I was a smaller guy on the crew then yeah it might upset me but it's just more motivation to be the first name mentioned.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Max Field said:

Well you gotta consider how many other things they do with your movie for it to go to TV. Censoring certain lines, chopping out scenes for time, changing the aspect ratio and cropping out important shot elements. The credits being cut out is the last of the filmmaker's worries.

If I was a smaller guy on the crew then yeah it might upset me but it's just more motivation to be the first name mentioned.

True I agree completely. That is one of the last things I would worry about if any of the others happened.

But still in a way it sucks. 

OP, just how it is. $$ runs the world, not art.

CA was taken down over $$, with cheap illegal labor. Brexit was stopped over $$. Scorsese ruined the end of Taxi Driver, desaturating the blood over $$. Why was Trump stopped from closing down the border to Mexico...that is right $$. England lost the Colonies back in the 1780's over $$...the Stamp Tax.

That is one of the big benefits of working underground. You don't care one thing about profit other than do you have the $$ to do a project. Of course, filmmaking is even worse than still photography for sucking down $$. One way or another it always boils down to $$ when doing art.

If I could draw I could be in biz with a used napkin and a pencil. And if grandma had balls she would be grandpa. Just gotta suck it up and do the best we can in the world we got.

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.
  • Upvote 1