Super Bright RGB LED bulbs?

I saw some friends with programmable RGB light bulbs they just had in regular home sockets. I thought they were the greatest thing ever with the exception of their lumen output.

Obviously the industry standard cinema version of these would be Arri Skypanels, but I feel like there's a middle ground somewhere I'm completely missing?

If I want a brighter version of those programmable bulbs, or maybe just a cheaper version of a fully customizable color tone fixture, what would be the first things to look at?

Thanks as always.

Aputure will be releasing their RGB LED light soon which mimics the Arri Skypanel with colour selection and built in lighting effects and it is said to be slightly brighter than the 30-C. You may want to look in to this as it will be less expensive that the Arri Skypanels (think they will sell around 1,400-1,600 USD but worth looking it up).

Yes exactly the Apture 'RC RGB' lights, they look great. They would be a handy addition to using alongside a background or accent light with coloured gels or an RGB LED. They also charge in the light socket and can then run wirelessly after that (minimum 20 hours - maximum 100min). So handy if you want to throw in practicals into your frame and either can't run its wire long enough to reach into your frame properly OR you want to avoid wires running through the frame.

Update: Tried out, and returned, the Dracast 728 RGBW panel. It's color mode is maybe only effective up to about 4 feet away. After that loses serious punch.

Also thanks for the RC RGB tip!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I use the Dracast 728 RGBs and they're fine if there's little ambient light but most of the time when I've thought about using color ambient light isn't a factor. I haven't seen anything that's low-cost, low weight that puts out a high output. 

• Premium Member

I'm curious why no one mentioned the Litepanels Gemini?

Too pricey? I'd say it's way more manageable than the S60.. I'm also surprised to see its current retail price. I feel like it was available for high 3s, low 4s USD at one point.

Edited by Joseph Tese