wtb SUPER 8 film camera

Hi,

I need professional advice which camera is more suitable for film making in Super 8 film format. Since I am super "GREEN" in film analogue production process.

Basically I have two option to buy Beaulieu 4008 ZM2 and Leicina Special. I analyze some youtube super 8 footage of these cameras and get confused.

My goal is to get as stable as possible footage regarding Super 8 jitter effect. As I understood the main problem regarding jitter in 8mm film that there is no crystal sync motor and pressure plate system that's why 8mm so shaky?

Do you know any better cameras regarding more stable film footage?

Beaulieu 4008 ZM2 footage - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIxHf-AVy4E

Leicina Special footage - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGSI2HHnSog&t=29s

Hello, Andrius.

Both of these cameras are excellent examples of cameras for this format, however we're talking about cameras that are 40 + years old so at this point I'd just make sure you're getting one in good running shape.

I own a Leicina special and a Beaulieu 6008, (never owned a 4008), and like them both about the same. 

The Beaulieu 4008 will give you lots of C-mount lens options. The Leicina will give you more expensive M-mount options.

The Leicina has the Schneider 6-66, and the Beaulieu comes with the same zoom about 80% of the time. (some say the Leicina version has an extra element in their version of the lens, but I doubt anyone could tell the difference), so lens -wise, they're pretty even.

The Beaulieu has a fast guillotine shutter that sometimes gives the impression of sharper , but strobe like footage, but with a reflex mirror, all the light will reach the film. Leicina has a beam splitter and a more "normal" looking shutter angle. 

As far as jitter goes, it's going to be an inherent part of the format and its design. The only camera I've seen that has made an impact on stability is the Logmar, but that camera may not be what you're looking for.

A crystal sync motor isn't what affects image stability and I don't see a difference in either one of these cameras as far as breathing goes.

I will say that some post production stabilization can help a lot with locked down shots. (I'm doing a bit of that right now.)

It looks like the first clip (fashion) was transfered by Ocho Y Pico in Spain. They've got some of the best super 8 transfers I've ever seen, so which transfer house you use will make a difference too.  I mean those shots at around :45 are about as good as the format can produce, but at the end of the day, super 8 is super 8. Its going to have idiosyncratic elements that make it what it is.

So my next question is if you'd consider shooting 16mm. At this point, the difference in cost is negligible and the frame stability is increased immensely.

Hi,

Thanks for reply Phillip. I haven't heard anything about Logmar camera. I was just checking it and it looks superb. I like how they put registration pin system, but it will be to good to be true regarding price. Logmar should be very expensive camera. So better for me is to look at 16mm cameras. So if you have one for 1k euro with registration pin system I will buy it. It could be ECLAIR NPR or ACL model.

Yes, the Logmar might the the zenith of the format, but very expensive and probably hard to find now.

The NPR is Pin registered. 

The Eclair ACL is not pin registered, however the pull down claw is designed to be very steady because of the hang time at the bottom of the claw's movement, I believe.

I own an ACL and it's always been quite steady. 

If you look around, you'll probably find either in your price range. 

I had my ACL on ebay a few years ago but it didn't meet the reserve price, so I still have it.