CINE CAMERA OFFERING LOWEST ISO 2000

How cine cameras like Sony fs7 can offer the lowest ISO 2000 for shooting? Is this related with large sensor size ( sony fs7 has super 35mm ), is the sensor is more sensitive to light and how is it different from DSLR which have low ISO AS 100 OR 200 ?  

• Premium Member

Some cameras are simply tuned to run at higher base ISO's. Other cameras are tuned to run at lower base ISO's. It's just how the imager is designed from the efficiency of the photo sensor and then a preamp circuit is designed to help boost the signal for higher ISO's. It's rare to find a base ISO camera lower than 400, but there are more and more higher base ISO cameras on the market today, like the A7S. 

Fs7 is only set to ISO2000 in Cine EI mode.. in custom you can set to what you want..  Sony decided that 2000 in Cine EI /Slog mode.. gave the best balance stop wise.. over and under mid grey.. for that sensor ..they approached it like a film camera .. you have one ISO level that is set.. but you can of course set your metre/camera to any setting and intentionally "over" or " under" expose.. 

So the fs7 is not a minimum ISO 2000 camera , only when set to Cine EI mode.. there is alot of info on the inter web about the fs7..being the worlds most used pro video camera.. I think you need to study the camera alot more to get a handle on how it works.. google Alister Chapman .. his site has tons of info on the fs7

Thanks Tyler Purcell Sir,

Thanks Robin R Probyn 

Sir, I have found that when I choose the cine EI mode then I cannot choose the ISO setting instead I get to choose the Exposure Index ranging from 500 EI to above, so I am confused about that does the ISO 2000 is still active while using exposure index of 500 EI 

or is it just the 500 EI active which we are using is cine EI mode?

Thanks Tyler Purcell Sir,

Thanks Robin R Probyn 

Sir, I have found that when I choose the cine EI mode then I cannot choose the ISO setting instead I get to choose the Exposure Index ranging from 500 EI to above, so I am confused about that does the ISO 2000 is still active while using exposure index of 500 EI 

or is it just the 500 EI active when  we are using  cine EI mode?

If you are set to Cine EI mode the camera will record ALL footage at ISO2000.. internally to the XQD cards.. 

Sony expect you to be working with a MLUT (monitoring LUT) in your EVF /Monitor.. (I would recommend REC709 800, as this is what you are probably used to seeing).. so the  ISO is 2000 by default when you switch to Cine EI mode.. if you then rate the camera at ISO/EI 500 in the menu .. you will see the image in the EVF go darker.. by 2 stops .. 2000/1000/500..  to compensate you open up the iris of the lens by 2 stops to get back to "normal" exposure in your EVF/monitor.. BUT internally your recorded images are going to be 2 stops over exposed.. you are over exposing uniformly all your footage..intentionally, people do this when they want to raise the noise floor and don't need the 8 stops over DR which you get at ISO2000 (I think its 8 stops something like that cant remember exactly).. you are still getting the same DR but you have shifted the grey level up and so cut off 2 stops from your highlights... 

Set your ISO to 1000.. and you are doing the same but "over exposing" only by 1 stop.. 2000- 1000..

I just keep it at ISO2000 when shooting Cine EI.. with a REC709 MLUT .. set your scopes, zebra to read after LUT .. and you are going to me fine.. if the REC 709 levels are good.. so will the underlying Slog be.. toggle MLUT off/on if you want to check how your Slog shadows /high lights are going.. there is also High/Low function in assign menu to do this very easily ..

In short Cine EI mode means the ISO is set to 2000.. you cannot change this.. its like loading a film stock into a film camera.. you cant change that film stocks ISO.. whats written on the can.. BUT you can change your light meter and decide I will rate this film slower.. so you are purposely over exposing your film shot in the camera.. its the same principle .. its very common to "over expose" Slog.. you rarely need the huge high light range over grey .. and so by banging more light onto the sensor you raise the noise levels.. when corrected in post.. but you can just leave it as 2000 and shoot away with a Rec 709 LUT... Ive done this for years of shooting Slog3.cine.. and its all fine..