Krasnogorsk-3 problem > Help appreciated

Howdy all. 

Recently got a Krasnogorsk-3 so I could teach myself how to shoot film and learn all the little quirks and make mistakes (e.g. jam the film while loading it. Learn to fix said jams. Accidentally expose a portion of the film. Learn how the motor sounds)  so I could end up using it some day or transfer those skills to other projects. (I've only ever shot digital beforehand am a young boi) 

While I was testing on my first roll, I decided to test a few different lenses just to see how they fared and would impact on the end product once I get it developed and scanned. Herein lies my problemo. The last lens I tested got stuck on the Mount. The lens is a Zeiss Jena Flektogon 35mm 2.4 electric lens. Being the unluckiest guy in the world, my lenses electric contacts actually got stuck in a screw hole on the body mount of the k-3. So now I can't actually unscrew it, because each way I turn the Lil pin bastard is just caught. It's such a bizarre problem that I never expected to face haha (I was expecting the usual things, having done a bit of research on analogue before diving in). 

Have any of you experienced something like this?/have any ideas on how I get my lens off, preferably without damaging it or the camera. 

I would gently spray some Silicone spray around the lens mount.  Hopefully it will make the electric pins slippery enough to slip out of the detents so you can unscrew the lens.  It will also require some force to remove.  The worst that can happen is that the electric pins become damaged. The only other way around this is to disassemble the front standard of the camera if possible, or disassemble the lens from the outside if possible (not all lenses come apart this way though, some require disassembly from the mount). The silicone can be removed.  Once the lens is removed, you could just tape over the pins to avoid this issue in the future using some thin packing tape.  Good luck!

• Premium Member

As much as I am a huge fan of Martin’s enormous knowledge and generosity, I have to disagree with him on the use of silicon spray on cine cameras and especially lenses. In my experience it can migrate onto optics or surfaces with specific lubricity requirements, so you need to be very careful where to use it and how much to use. I find it quite hard to remove silicone effectively.

There are other lubricants you can use, like oil or a good quality penetrating spray like CRC 2-21 which are also effective. I do avoid WD40 on precision instruments though. 

If a contact pin is stuck in a hole you may just have to use force and damage the pin.  If the hole goes through you can push the pin back from the other side but you’ll need to remove the camera front. If you have space to slip a thin metal shim between the lens and the camera mount you might be able to shimmy the pin back out of the way.

Good luck!

Perhaps a middle way is to apply the lubricant with a cotton bud, or spray some onto  a piece of paper and use that to dribble some only where it is needed. I find that spray goes everywhere too.

• 2 years later...