Fashion Taste and Visual Mediums

Max Field

Does anyone here find having a certain taste in fashion, or understanding a variety different fashion cultures, to be an essential part of mastering your style as a cinematographer or director?

We mostly shoot people. People wear clothes.
I understand there's a costume department, but can a cinematographer with an eye for it help flesh their skills out?

If anyone has input or stories on this it'd be very appreciated!

It's an interesting topic actually and extremely relevant to filmmaking, which of course deals in 'look', or image, as well as other things (like sound and editing). I have ideas on what clothes look good for certain characters, dependent on story. The whole look of a picture is important. Usually the Art Director/Costume designer figures this all out. But in low budget independent pictures I've got definite ideas for what would look best to tell that particular story, whatever it was. Some things are more photogenic, or simply 'work' better for that film or that scene within a film. It's like mood. Filmmaking is really to a large extent a form of entertainment and a big part of that is telling a story with image.

Edited by Jon O'Brien