16mm Double-X (7222) footage stills attached

• Premium Member

Hi all, got the footage back from Cinelab London as .dpx files for the Eastman Double X. Had it scanned at 2K full gate (standard 16mm) off my Aaton XTR XC (no electronics not even a film counter telling me how much film has been used haha). Lens a Cooke Varokinetal 9-50mm T2.2 zoom. Shot with a rectangular soft box about half a metre away from the girl and in front of a white background I wanted to leave as a 'grey'. Shot it in my living room at home!

Attached some stills.....hope you like the 'look' of the stock and go out and shoot with it!violence_still1.thumb.jpg.7728b49d944eae2a87ff5feece312d60.jpg

• Premium Member

...for what its worth coming from me, not a cinematographer by any stretch of the imagination BUT a stills film photographer for 3 decades...the stock is beautiful with the correct metering/exposure as it does NOT have that much latitude compared to say Kodak TMax 400 or Tr-X in stills.

I would say its great for studio conditions / lighting and outdoors you have to watch the highlights don't blow so much.....I would shoot at 1 to 1.5 stops over and not more depending on contrast of the scene......

Overall the stock grain to my taste is beautiful and the tonality is sublime.....love it......works great with shadows to my taste.....overall the film has that old school 'metallic' greyscale look to it I love......

Set key light at T4 and that was it...camera on a Sachtler fluid head....think I shot from 40-50mm on the zoom lens throughout...damn I always forget to take notes. I rated the film at 200asa

........oh the footage is a piece on violence against women.....the girl is a real victim and the filming was 'hard' to say the least as she was all over the place with emotions and anxiety and all sorts in between.....keeping her 'focused' was not easy....BUT she delivered something incredible.....

Edited by Stephen Perera

• Premium Member

I particularly like the tones in this still.....as I said Im not even near being a cinematographer like the rest of you here but in my opinion digital just doesn't do B/W like film.....

violence_still5.jpg

Thankyou so much for letting us know you were happy.  Stunning images!  It makes such a difference to the Team to see great feedback.  Cinelab London’s mission is simple, great client service through supporting all filmmakers, without compromise.  Thanks, Stephen! 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Stephen Perera said:

Thanks for all the comments...appreciate the positivity.....Watch the piece here

Great piece of work Stephen! The editing is fantastic. Will this be used as an ad campaign? 

• Premium Member

Thanks for watching Dan...the first person haha.....em I don't know what to do with it.....local Government or local support groups for the cause are interested in it without seeing it yet........dont know whether they would want to water it down or change it so Im hesitant as I want to do it as I see it.....

I simply did it as a personal statement.....i.e. bought the film, shot it, sent it to Cinelab London and paid all associated costs from my own pocket as like what they call a 'passion project'

20 minutes ago, Stephen Perera said:

hope you watched the clip on Vimeo...thanks for the responses

I did, but I forgot to like it which I will do right now. Shame that the compression kind of spoiled the image a little bit. Never mind, the effect was there. I like the use of mid-century sound effects. Nice touch.

Were the title cards created digitally, or printed and then filmed? I've actually seen that done back in the '90s.

• Premium Member

Hey Karim...the compression has killed the beauty of the grain......will happily send it out to anyone interested once I know what Im doing with it and I lock the final edit with the correct 'thank yous' etc etc.....H265 output is small files and good quality for example

The edit and title cards DaVinci Resolve 16 (free version)...somebody tried to convince me to add fake film glitch on the text but i thought too gimmicky....some said text too sharp and again....I thought the compression will take the edge off anyway so not an issue

• 2 weeks later...