I am considering a Super 8mm camera....

John Schlater II

you're welcome ;) to be honest, all infos I got for this camera came from the people at filmshooting.com, I don't have the instruction manual too...

Regarding the 64t issue, I think the camera cannot read it properly, guess it will treat it as a k40 cart, overexposing 1/3 or so. I'm always using an external meter, though, and I didn't try this stock yet.

Are you sure it's a GS8? the lens should be a 6-70 if I remember correctly. (9-36 is a great lens too!)

david

Hi, sorry its a Moviflex MS8 not GS8........ mine has the 9-36, primitive looking cine camera, but delivers the results.

Thanks again David.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you're welcome ;) to be honest, all infos I got for this camera came from the people at filmshooting.com, I don't have the instruction manual too...

Regarding the 64t issue, I think the camera cannot read it properly, guess it will treat it as a k40 cart, overexposing 1/3 or so. I'm always using an external meter, though, and I didn't try this stock yet.

Are you sure it's a GS8? the lens should be a 6-70 if I remember correctly. (9-36 is a great lens too!)

david

The Zeiss uses a funky system to set the ASA- a lever comes down when you turn the lock on the door until it rests on the notch lower edge- this is mechanically linked to rotate a drum of variable opacity which encloses the metering cell. So its theoretically infinitely variable- if the notch allows. So yes it should read it correctly. This is based on the S8 and I'm assuming the others use the same method.

Mark

Guest uoliwils
The Zeiss uses a funky system to set the ASA- a lever comes down when you turn the lock on the door until it rests on the notch lower edge- this is mechanically linked to rotate a drum of variable opacity which encloses the metering cell. So its theoretically infinitely variable- if the notch allows. So yes it should read it correctly. This is based on the S8 and I'm assuming the others use the same method.

Mark

didn't know this, good info! Is there any way I can lock the exposure after metering? Again, I'm always using an external meter, but it would be good if I could do that when shooting for fun or while travelling and I don't want to take a lightmeter with me.

Hi, sorry its a Moviflex MS8 not GS8........ mine has the 9-36, primitive looking cine camera, but delivers the results.

Thanks again David.

I know it does! I've got the S8, and I'm really satisfied (even though I'd like to buy the GS8 someday...)

david

Mark

Sparky, you are right, learnt two things tonight, just tested the zeiss MS8 and i can confirm it does read

the new 64T stock, tried a k40 cartridge followed by the 64t cartridge. Auto exposure did close the iris down by 2/3 stop. Then i dug out a manual for the moviflex s8, instruction manual says the camera can read film speeds from 10 to 100 asa.

BTW, I have a moviflex S8 aswell as a MS8, my S8 iris is sticky and slow can you repair it??????

Andy

Sparky, you are right, learnt two things tonight, just tested the zeiss MS8 and i can confirm it does read

the new 64T stock, tried a k40 cartridge followed by the 64t cartridge. Auto exposure did close the iris down by 2/3 stop. Then i dug out a manual for the moviflex s8, instruction manual says the camera can read film speeds from 10 to 100 asa.

BTW, I have a moviflex S8 aswell as a MS8, my S8 iris is sticky and slow can you repair it??????

Andy

Hi Andy,

the iris on mine is quite slow too- I think its meant to be! I never understood why Canon folk rave about the speed of their autoexposure like they do- PITA if you ask me- slow is good.

When you say sticky- does it actually stick? I can't recall if it has a multiblade aperture but I think it does- if its the blades that stick I can't really help- do they look oily? Otherwise the iris motor might benefit from a lube- contact me off list if you'd like me to look at it- I still haven't sorted out that remote release for you- need to get busy!

Mark

I have a Zeiss 50mm lens which has sticky-iris blades too. Found a perfect solution, I lubricated the control-arm pivot, the original lubricant breaks down over time and it starts to stick a little bit. I used sewing machine oil on this one pivot, and suddenly the iris is running as smooth as ever. Zeiss is a company that sticks to convention, so I'm wagering that yours might have the same issue.

• 3 weeks later...
Hmmm,

Accessories for Super8 cameras?

P8250148.JPG

You actually mean accessories like these... :P

P8250147.JPG

... or these? :D

Regards,

Alex

Alex...where did you get all those beautiful accessories?!!! I have a friend that I think just bought that same camera and I would love to give him the info as to where he can collect all those fine pieces!!! Spill the beans!!!

Hey everyone...I am so glad to see this thread is still alive and that a Newbie can start a nice long discussion...thanks for all the replys I will read them all when I get home tonight...

Sorry I haven't been back for a while. I was working on a short informational/documentary type video for the school district I work for. It monopolized my life for like 3 months. Here's the results of my efforts...

http://www.kusd.edu/referendum/video/room/ref_05_video.html

(I am not real crazy about what streaming software our district uses but I have no control of that...sorry.)

If you you all want to watch the whole thing...be my guest but beware its 20 minutes long...let meknow what you think of it please...

I shot 4-5 hours of raw footage on a GL2 and a Sony PD100A...edited down to 20 minutes. Editied on a Dual 2.7GHz G5 in Final Cut HD, graphics done in Adobe After Effects, Voice over was done at a local recording studio in town here called Renwood Messenger. Done all in house except for graphics...I asked a friend of mine for a personal favor and he donated them to the cause...very swell of him I thought...but I known him since I was 7 years old...so...its a favor I could ask.

Anyway...keep up the good conversation and I will chat with you all soon.

John

Hello again, if you can live without lap dissolve and a 7-56 instead of a 6.5-65 lens then buy the 814xls, purchased mine brand new in march 1985 and still in use to this day. Ultra reliable, same quality images as the 1014xls, go for it.

Go 4 the widest lens you can affard in super 8...the 6.5mm is noticably wider than the 7.5mm on the 814...also the sound cameras are more silent than the silent cameras. Stick with Canon. The Leicas are overpriced since you are paying for a red circle on a gray box. The beualieuas need constant rebuilding in europe to keep running. Late model Bauers are good and pretty cheap compared to all the others. With everything super 8, keep your focus within 10feet and you will get great results. 16mm is better and a caliber above anything 8mm.

Go 4 the widest lens you can affard in super 8...the 6.5mm is noticably wider than the 7.5mm on the 814...also the sound cameras are more silent than the silent cameras. Stick with Canon. The Leicas are overpriced since you are paying for a red circle on a gray box. The beualieuas need constant rebuilding in europe to keep running. Late model Bauers are good and pretty cheap compared to all the others. With everything super 8, keep your focus within 10feet and you will get great results. 16mm is better and a caliber above anything 8mm.

Lot of late bauers cannot read the 64t in auto mode. Bauers give superbly steady images tough. A leicina may be over priced but at least you can shoot at f2 and know you wont get a soft image like with every canon i have owned ( 318M, 310,514XL,514XLS,814XLS AND 3 1014XLS)

Lot of late bauers cannot read the 64t in auto mode. Bauers give superbly steady images tough. A leicina may be over priced but at least you can shoot at f2 and know you wont get a soft image like with every canon i have owned ( 318M, 310,514XL,514XLS,814XLS AND 3 1014XLS)

I don't think they're overpriced particularly, though it would of course be nice if they were cheaper ;-)

I think the Canon XL-S's are though- a lot of those cameras features are to do with sound which is obsolete now- otherwise they are a nice solid auto cam with good lens etc- like so many others...

Mark

I think the Canon XL-S's are (overpriced) though- a lot of those cameras features are to do with sound which is obsolete now- otherwise they are a nice solid auto cam with good lens etc- like so many others...

Mark

Are you ever right there. If somebody is in the market for a Canon camera, the one to get is the 814 Electronic. The same lens as the 814 xls as far as I can determine and you can pick those up for about 50 to 80 bucks in good running condition. The xls's aren't even close enough to silent to do synch sound work with anyway, and, unless you're into projecting and want to do dissolves and stuff, I guess that's fine, but all the gimmick pseudo-professional features are done better in NLE editing!

8142.jpg

It's a good starter camera to get your feet wet in Super 8 and probably the best bargain around. You're going to get the same quality of images you'd get form the xls series of Canon, but pocket about 4 or 500 dollars by using your brain. And if it craps out, toss it in the dumpster and go buy another one or move up to a Beaulieu or Leicina.

Edited by santo

If the canon 814xl-electronic has the same lens as the canon ds-8 camera, then i would avoid the 814xl-e. Having owned two canon ds-8 cameras, the lens has to be the worse canon glass i have ever used. Better contrast and sharpness could be obtained from a wine bottle bottom or marmalade pot. ( that will upset the canon fans, i am ready for the verble onslaught)

Actually the Canon DS8 used the same lens as on the Canon 814 Autozoom which came before the Electronic. Here's what the Autozoom looks like, made from 1966 - 1971 something like the DS8 was:

Canon_814_3.jpg

I used to have both 814's and will agree that the Electronic's lens was certainly an upgrade over the Autozoom. 11 new elements redesigned with Canon's then new computers and macro function and new Spectra Coating. Unfortunately they didn't keep going with the terrific metal body on the Autozoom and the much more attractive styling. I just picked up a "new" Electronic for peanuts and am now looking over the manual for it and always get a kick out of the Canon brag sheets. Check out the first page of the Electronic where it talks about how its "the highest qualified 8mm camera of today" and "The lens is developed to make unrivaled fine pictures" of the "unrivaled new lens". Really makes me want to pick up some new V2 100t or V2 50d from Pro8 and do an HD transfered test next to my Leicina Special or maybe pick up a Beaulieu with an Angenieux f1,2 6-80 and do a little comparo for fun. I mean, it's pretty decent for what it is and worth shooting with, but come on! :rolleyes:

http://www.8mmfilmstock.com/canon814Emanual/814E00%7E1.JPG

Edited by santo

From reading the posts no this forum the liecina is the camera to own. anyone no where one is on thee web? I only want profesional shoots. thanxs

Hi, dont overlook the beaulieu 5008,6008,7008. Results on a newly purchased 6008s ( only cost me £100.00) with 6-70 lens are superb, yes, beaulieus need a little more TLC than other cameras, they do deliver a far sharper image than other makes of camera. Leicina special certainly gives the steadiest super 8 images i have seen. Finding a mint leicina can be difficult.

I felt the lens on the DS8 was very, very good. I was using K25 and the sharpness, steadiness, and contrast was the best I have seen on Super 8. Better than my Beaulieu 6008 Digital with the 1.2 6-90mm Lens, and better than the Nizo 6080. I just got two Leicinas so I will find out how it does compared to them.

I felt the lens on the DS8 was very, very good. I was using K25 and the sharpness, steadiness, and contrast was the best I have seen on Super 8. Better than my Beaulieu 6008 Digital with the 1.2 6-90mm Lens, and better than the Nizo 6080. I just got two Leicinas so I will find out how it does compared to them.

I too was using k25 also exposed a roll of k40 on my late ds-8. The images obtained thru my 7008 with its 6-80 lens loaded with k40 looks much better than the canon ds-8 footage. Horrible contrast with k40 on the ds-8. Much better colours and saturation with k25 on the canon ds-8, but still not as good as it could be. Results on my bolex ds-8 with switar primes and k25 are rather nice. If i had not had the bolex images to compare with then i would probably kept the canon ds-8. Comparing bolex and the canon images side by side, the canon ds-8 footage looks very poor.

I guess side by side would be the only way to tell. I have an opportunity to get a Bolex DS8 Rex 3 but it does not have switar primes. I would get it but I can't seem to get past the horrible dim little viewfinder. How do you find shooting through the Bolex viewfinder? Also I got SEVERE vignetting with the 1.2 6-80mm Angenieux...it looked like I had a special lens and I was filming through a peep hole about the size of a quarter. Happened at the lens set wide open in the 10-15mm range.

I guess side by side would be the only way to tell. I have an opportunity to get a Bolex DS8 Rex 3 but it does not have switar primes. I would get it but I can't seem to get past the horrible dim little viewfinder. How do you find shooting through the Bolex viewfinder? Also I got SEVERE vignetting with the 1.2 6-80mm Angenieux...it looked like I had a special lens and I was filming through a peep hole about the size of a quarter. Happened at the lens set wide open in the 10-15mm range.

Your right, bolex viewfinder is horrible, dim very hard to focus. Infact the only footage i use the bolex for is home movies. Did try a 9-36 ( i think ) switar zoom on the bolex, very good, but the primes have the edge.

As for the 6-80, mine was adjusted to the camera by Bjorn, the only time i get vignetting is when on extreme macro and at 6mm. Apart from that it give amazing images, and very good looking images in grubby lite.

Yes...mine was adjusted to the camera by Bjorn as well. Since I am not a professional camera man I assume there may have been some "operator" error. I know the Beaulieu's will give fantastic images but they are not the point and shoot kind. You have to work it a bit I found.

Yes...mine was adjusted to the camera by Bjorn as well. Since I am not a professional camera man I assume there may have been some "operator" error. I know the Beaulieu's will give fantastic images but they are not the point and shoot kind. You have to work it a bit I found.

Hi, me no professional too. Look thru your 6-80 are all the iris blades working correctly. Just had mine repaired, the iris was closing down not in a circle but a half moon. That gave me a few funny looking images. BTW, how do you find auto iris mode on your beaulieu can it be relied upon.

When I first wrote this thread my idea was that it was an ideal thread to just flat out talk about any and all experiences with any camera you all have used or came into contact with. After 5 pages I got all of what I asked for and more...keep up the good conversation everyone...I am impressed with your depth of knowledge! Thank you very much!

There are so many to choose from...how can I make up my mind!!!

I still have been looking at the Canon 814/1014...very nice camera for not a heck of a lot...

I also saw a Super Elmo on Bay today along with a very nice looking Nikon R10. There were a handful of nce S8's on ebay...made me drool a little bit...just a ittle...

Not many Beaulieu's but I think I saw a Leicina but I don't know if it was one fo the better ones...

What are some of your favorite lenses? Favorite modifications???

JSII