Beaulieu 4008ZM II electric zoom stopped working

Andreas Ratschiller

Hey there,

I just noticed today after getting a new battery pack, that the electric zoom stopped working. It was always working fine so far. I don’t know what possible could ha e happened, the camera was the last weeks in its original packaging, so nothing could have broken or gotten damaged.

I’m wondering if the new battery pack has something to do with it.

Everything else works fine, lightmeter, release button, the aperture sets automatically. So power itself can’t be the issue, right?

Anyone has some advice?

Thanks in advance 

Andi

Of course it is the new battery pack. The zoom needs the centre voltage of 3.6 Volt. Just measure the rings on the battery...It is not properly charged or the centre-tap is not connected. Or the spring blade in the camera is not connecting ? Coincidently.

Thanks for the reply.

I was sure that there's something wrong with the power supply. Just wondering now, how to check if the centre-tap is connected or the spring blade. The battery pack is fully charged, got charged over 12hrs, therefore must be full.

Sorry, I'm new to own-camera repairs, therefore those newbie questions:)

Thanks so much in advance for the help.

Cheers

• Premium Member

In case anyone is confused by the conflicting information in this thread,  Bjorn is the world authority on Beaulieus so I would listen to his advice over anyone else's. 

Thanks Bjorn!

Exactly what is the advice?

Andreas is best adviced to test the battery using a volt meter and take it from there.

As OP is in Switzerland he is best adviced to seek help from a die-hard filmer in der Schweiz. Forum member Simon Wyss is in the der Schweiz too and does repairs on classic cameras. Maybe he can help to diagnose what is wrong. Without spending a fortune on shipping and labour far away ?

• Premium Member

The advice is that the zoom motor does not in fact use the 3.6V centre tap. That only powers the iris motor. Since the OP mentioned that the auto iris works, as well as the camera run release which uses 7.2V,  the battery itself is therefore not the problem.

The issue is with the lens zoom motor or how it’s getting its power.

Thanks everyone for replying in this thread.

On the upside, everything except the electric zoom works, therefore the camera is fully functional. I just need to get this repaired nevertheless because this Beaulieu is in pristine condition and it would be very sad if not 100%.

Thanks again. Cheers everyone.