Micro Fogger?

I think it would be difficult to get even fog, in anywhere beyond very small spaces. At $102 that's v pricey. You can get disco type fogger for half that. Which would better be able to fill a space and give you more flexibility in different fog fluids. 

Looks like an expensive vape pen

• Premium Member

I looked at making a little fog machine using e-cigarette technology and that's clearly what's been done here. My concerns would be two:

First, how have they done the fluid reservoir? Usually, that sort of thing relies on a wick effect with cotton wool drawing fluid from a small tank in which it is immersed. If it's run (sucked on) for too long, the wick can dry out and take a while to resaturate with fluid. Some other approach would seem better but it's hard to figure out how to install, say, a pump without risking flooding the thing and making a mess.

Second, how long can it continuously run for? The electronics and heating elements used in e-cigarettes are not generally continuously rated and long term use would quickly discharge the battery.

In short I think it's fine for small local effects as demonstrated and I think this sort of thing must already have been used for small movie props that need to smoke without being connected to anything. For fogging a space with some degree of portability, you want something like a Le Maitre Mini Mist. They run from aerosol cans of fluid and can operate for a few minutes after being disconnected from the mains.

Unfortunately they're not $102. I'd like to see someone make one that uses a can of butane (as for blow torches) and the aerosol cans of fluid, so it can be completely off-mains. That's one DIY project I'm not going near, though. I have only a limited appetite for huge flames and the risk of explosions.

P

I thought this looked interesting for super quick applications. I have a DF50 and a V hazer, these are great obviously but heavy and at times cumbersome to use. This could be sweet to whip out and haze up shots where you might not have bothered in the past.