Battery Voltage for Speed Options

Charles Haine

I know my last few posts must seem like I'm hard on my gear, but I swear, I treat all gear (both my own and rental) with a respect aimed at years of use.

However, I do like to know what something is safely and reasonably capable of.

My buddy has this free IIC, that I've mentioned before, with a governor motor, which runs fairly close to 24fps.

The IIC is a 12V camera, but I noticed that the battery cable goes out to the same European Banana connector that the Arri 16S's usually use, and I happened to have an 8V ArriS battery with me, so I plugged it in and switched it on for the briefest second. As I would've guessed, it ran at 16fps.

Now: is that bad for the motor?

And, possibly more interesting, would it be bad for the motor to be hooked up to a 24V battery, in order to run it at 48fps? I know the IIC can do it, but I worry about burning something out.

If anybody has done this without doing damage, I'd love to hear about it, because otherwise my gut tells me it could be a bad idea.

thanks,

chuck haine

II c had couple different motors, variable speed 16V, constant 24fps 16V, Variable speed 24V and HS 32V. If you plug 16v governor motor to 12V battery, camera without mag can run 24 fps or even more but fully loaded 400ft will give aprox. 18-22 fps with constant oscillations in speed finally it will affect image stability. If you plug 24V battery to 16V motor you?ll kill it. If you want to run on 48 you need 24V HS motor.

• 1 month later...