'Split Tongue' (Short Version) is a social documentary video study of my tablet's screen of posts made to Instagram on the subject of body modification of cutting the tongue into 2 parts aka bifurcation. My Vimeo account wont accommodate big uploads, hence the edited short version. 

This video is part of a 6 hour social documentary video study I made of Instagram in 2019 called 'Offshoots' The full video is too long to upload, so I broke it down into smaller subjects.

Here is the individual series from 'Offshoots' which will be available on the Internet Archive by July / August 2019. 

Girls of Instagram
Look at #metoo (aka 'Look at hashtag metoo' on the Internet Archive)
Look at #metoo (Short Version)
Stretch Marks 
Stretch Marks (Short Version)
Acne
Acne (Short Version)
Jew Majesty
Pregnant Girls of Instagram
Fat Ass
#Queer (aka 'hashtag Queer' on the Internet Archive)
Chubblebath
Mandy Blanco Dream Girl
Transition (Male to female transition)
Transmen (Female to male transition)
Color Hair
Fingernails 
Long Tongue Fetish 
Split Tongue
Split Tongue
(Short Version)
Scarification
Drag Queens 
Twerking
Justin Day
Hairy Girls
Afra

Offshoots was made under the auspices of 'one thing leads to another' or as old time photographer Garry Winogrand once said..."the more I do...the more I do." I started with one topic, Girls of Instagram and that one topic more or less begat all the rest of the subjects as offshoots. 

To give you an example of how this worked. One of the girls on IG had a tag for stretch marks. A search in that topic led to pregnancy.  A pregnant girl had a tag for fetish. As I looked into fetishes, it led me to tongue fetishes such as long tongues and that led to split tongues. When studying split tongues, that led to scarification. 

This phenomena is not new to me. It has happened hundreds of times with my own still photography the same way. You just have to be open to them. But for me, the idea clicks in almost an instant. Maybe it is my training as a street photographer that helps me work fast...you gotta decide 'yes or no' in a couple blinks of an eye...no time to f around.