Alternative to 4-pin XLR connector

I use the Falconeyes LED mat lights for travel shoots, and while they're generally great, the connector that hooks up the controller to the panel itself is garbage and I'd like to replace it with something better.

4-pin XLR is out since that's how the power supply connects to the controller, and that seems like a recipe for blowing things up. 

Are there any other 4-pin connectors I could use for this purpose? I guess I could use 5-pin XLR (and leave one unconnected) or 4-pin mini XLR...?

• Premium Member

I'd avoid XLR entirely. There are a huge number of applications for almost every XLR pin count and, therefore, almost any type of XLR risks a foulup leading to damaged gear. Three pin is audio, including mic and line level signal, high power for loudspeakers, 24V power, some LED head cables, and is even used for pyrotechnics (alarmingly.) Four pin is at least two kinds of DC power. Five pin is widely used for DMX lighting control and stereo balanced audio on some ENG cameras, for instance.

For low voltage lighting, you can get plastic circular connectors. If you're on the cheap, do a search on somewhere like aliexpress for "plastic circular connector," or, if you have money, buy them from any of the normal electronics suppliers. They're rare enough that most people will be suitably careful even if you do somehow end up with a compatibility clash on a particular job.

The nicest solution is Lemos, if you happen to want to spend one human soul on them. The chinese import sites have knockoff lemos for much more realistic prices. They can be a bit of a pain to assemble if you get the very small ones, especially if you haven't done a lot of it before.

P