Can I shoot single perf in my old double sprocket Keystone A12

Dan Mouer

I’m sure this has been covered before, but... I keep finding confusing and conflicting info.

I enjoy shooting film in old home movie cameras. I have my share of 8mm and Super8s, but I’d love to shoot some with my Keystone A12. Since I cannot seem to find any double perf fresh stock, I’m wondering if my Keystone will digest 1R, or will my claw be grasping at air? Or will the film chatter or...??? Anyone have experience with this they would like to share?

Dan Mouer

If it has a double sprocket it won't run 1R. There are no holes for the second sprocket to engage.

500T is still available in 2R but only in 400' on a core. You would have to wind it down onto daylight spools.

41 minutes ago, Mark Dunn said:

If it has a double sprocket it won't run 1R. There are no holes for the second sprocket to engage.

500T is still available in 2R but only in 400' on a core. You would have to wind it down onto daylight spools.

That is what I feared. Thanks, Mark. I don’t want to shoot 500T, but I have heard that John Schwind may have some reperforated stock available out in California. 

Don't know if you can do it to a Keystone but I'm going to have my dual-perf Bolex H16 converted over to single perf.  Bolex apparently still makes the parts.  I've also heard it said that you can grind or file off one row of teeth to do the conversion.  If you're interested in going that way, maybe check with some local machinists.

I did try running single perf through the Bolex.  It did not end well...

• Premium Member

Before grinding the sprockets make sure that the claw is on the correct side for single perf film.  I have seen a few examples  of 16mm equipment were the claw happened to be on what became the Soundtrack side.  in other cases, if you can't find single row sprokets, you may be able ot get the unwanted set of teeth turned down.  try not to change the diameter on the modified side as that may cause the film to want to pull to one side.

5 hours ago, Dave Goodwin said:

Don't know if you can do it to a Keystone but I'm going to have my dual-perf Bolex H16 converted over to single perf.  Bolex apparently still makes the parts.  I've also heard it said that you can grind or file off one row of teeth to do the conversion.  If you're interested in going that way, maybe check with some local machinists.

I did try running single perf through the Bolex.  It did not end well...

Thank you, Dave. I think I’ll just keep hunting for double perf. I just located a source, temporary perhaps, for Orwo negative through Color Lab in Maryland, USA

14 hours ago, Charles MacDonald said:

Before grinding the sprockets make sure that the claw is on the correct side for single perf film.  I have seen a few examples  of 16mm equipment were the claw happened to be on what became the Soundtrack side.  in other cases, if you can't find single row sprokets, you may be able ot get the unwanted set of teeth turned down.  try not to change the diameter on the modified side as that may cause the film to want to pull to one side.

Thanks Charles. I’ll forego the surgery on the sprocket wheel and just keep a lookout for film.

2 hours ago, Simon Wyss said:

Fomapan R 100 is factory available perforated both edges. Else, if you wire $ 20,000 over to Rochester, they will furnish you Ektachrome in the desired conversion.

Thank you, Simon. That is good news. I found one US dealer who stocks it! I use this film in my 8mm cameras, and it is excellent, so long as you find a lab who will process it in the correct chemistry.

Dan

• Premium Member

One can get addicted to the film. I had used it in my Eyemo years ago behind a non-bloomed four-elements lens from the early 1930s, the 47 mm Cooke, and am eager to return to making films ever since. Until then I have to repair some more Krasnogorskij and such, it seems.