Bolex M (for Marine?)

tom lombard

• Premium Member

That’s what I had thought myself but M means Monoptique or Monoptic. The M model has a shutter of 144 degrees opening angle which suits filming off TV screens. Also, the shutter edges are inclined, not radial. Paillard sought to enter that bigger market that evolved during the fifties in the U. S., television functioning off 60 Hz mains at 30 fps. A film movie camera running at 24 fps and equipped with the mentioned shutter fits. The only things yet needed are a synchronous electric motor and a phase shifter. How the absence of a black bar was verified with the setup I can’t tell.

• 3 months later...
On 6/5/2019 at 5:13 PM, Simon Wyss said:

That’s what I had thought myself but M means Monoptique or Monoptic. The M model has a shutter of 144 degrees opening angle which suits filming off TV screens. Also, the shutter edges are inclined, not radial. Paillard sought to enter that bigger market that evolved during the fifties in the U. S., television functioning off 60 Hz mains at 30 fps. A film movie camera running at 24 fps and equipped with the mentioned shutter fits. The only things yet needed are a synchronous electric motor and a phase shifter. How the absence of a black bar was verified with the setup I can’t tell.

Hey Simon,

If one can see a black bar half way up the screen while the camera rolls, then the shutter is probably as far away from the worst place as it can be during the exposure. Yes...?