1/8 black pro mist VS 1/8 HBM

I'm trying to find a comparison of these two filters or at least understand the attribute's of both to compare?

I'm assuming they are very similar, accept the black pro mist will change the overall contrast of a scene more than the HBM, especially if changing strengths.

For the sake of the argument though I'm only interested in the difference between an 1/8 black pro mist and 1/8 Hollywood black magic.

Pete.

• Premium Member

A 1/8 Hollywood Black Magic combines two filters, a 1/8 Black Frost (similar to a 1/8 Black ProMist) and a 1/8 HD Classic Soft. So the short answer is that the 1/8 HBM softens the image more because of the addition of the HD Classic Soft. The Black Frost provides the slight misty halation and the HD Classic Soft softens the image and creates a sort of blurry-edge type of halation, a more subtle version of a regular Classic Soft.

Each strength of HBM has the same 1/8 Black Frost base but changes the strength of the HD Classic Soft.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

HD Classic Soft was developed for the same reason the Digital Diffusion/FX was — when 2/3” HD video arrived on the market, the larger pattern of lens dimples in the Classic Soft, and the black dot pattern in the Black Diffusion/FX, came into focus too much due to the deeper depth of field of 2/3” video compared to 35mm. So the HD Classic Soft has smaller and more random dimples (lenslets) in the surface. Digital Diffusion/FX just removed the black dot pattern from Black Diffusion/FX.

Thanks David, this is very helpful, I have a set of HBM filters and was thinking of purchasing the 1/8 black pro mist for exactly the same reason as your last post, this answers my question perfectly!

Pete.