Fogging up a backyard

Hey everyone,

I'm going to be shooting some drone footage in a few weeks of a backyard, and the idea is that there would be a layer of fog on the ground to make the setting seem like some kind of alien landing. I'm going to be shooting this in the summer in the US, so pretty warm temp wise, so if I did have a fogger and put it through a chiller would it even lay down in such a hot environment? Whats the best way to achieve this?

Chilled fog will rise when it heats up. On a warm day its not going to stay cool for very long. 

Perhaps if you shoot really early in the morning and get the fog really cold it will stay low enough, long enough to get the shot. 

• Premium Member

Yes dry ice mist tends to lie low close to ground but I would worry about it being white so it can actually be seen in the image as well. If wanting to use dry ice one could first wet the grass and then throw dry ice grains around. Here they sell dry ice either in blocks/chunks or small grains. The grains have been easier for fog effects use for us when needing to throw the dry ice around, no need to crush the big chunks to get usable size bits

Edited by aapo lettinen