Bolex H16 EL Issue!

Ryan Callaghan

Hi all, not exactly sure if this post is in the wrong section, if so please point me in the right direction. 

I'm the owner of a Bolex H16 EL which was previously working perfectly fine, however, during shooting, it suddenly made a strange noise (the same noise shown in the video) opening the back I found that the film had stopped progressing through the camera.

First, I charged the off-camera battery pack and tried again but the strange noise still persisted when I pressed the shutter.

I thought maybe it was an issue with the battery, so I sent the battery to be refurbished, although when the battery was returned to me, I plugged it in and still I had the same issue.

To explain better what happens when I try to use the camera, I shot a quick video which I uploaded to Youtube, here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdbkc98aork&feature=youtu.be

As you see in the video, when I press the shutter, I can hear something happening in the camera (the noise as described) and when changing the FPS I hear what sounds like a change in speed, although I'm not sure what this means, you can hear it in the video.

If anyone has any ideas what the issue might be, or who might be able to help me, I'd be very grateful!

Thanks for your time,

Ryan

The Red Light should just blink once. That means the Battery is fully charged. If the Red Light stays ON then the Battery is not fully Charged. I have the same Noise when my Battery is not charged propperly. I found out that my Charger is not good. When i used a new Charger it was ok. Also a self built 12V external Battery Pack was fine.

However, in your case that sounds a bit weird. You might have a issue with the gears inside (Mechanical Issue)

You can easily try a common 12V battery not meant for Cameras. Like 12V and 10aH or so. My camera doesnt cause Problems with that. If you want to, i can make Pictures of my Battery Pack. If its a mech. Issue then i would send it to Bolex in switzerland (or to me as a gift to prevent customs. i will forward it then to bolex. I live in switzerland)

Cheers

Randy