BOLEX SBM SERVICE UK

Hi,

Where would be the best place to service my Bolex SBM in the UK,  I have just purchased the camera and there seems to be a ghosting (almost double exposure) on everything, I was wondering whether the film is slipping when it passes the gate or something? I have a Canon scoopic and have had experience with Arri SR3 etc, but I've never had this happen,,, any help would be great thanks!

Jack

• Premium Member

It could be that the shutter is a bit out of sync, exposing the film while it's being moved.

To check, draw a wavy scribble along the emulsion side of some dummy film with a sharpie, load it and manually inch the film on while looking through the lens port (with the lens removed). You shouldn't see the film move at all. If you do see movement before or after the shutter closes, the timing needs to be adjusted.

Unless you know for sure that it's working flawlessly, it's a good idea to have an experienced tech look over any camera that you buy before you spend money on stock, processing and scanning, but I don't know who to recommend in the UK. 

Hello Jackson. I would advise you to contact Bolex International in Switzerland. They offer servicing of Bolex cameras and whilst there is a cost associated with sending a camera to them, I can thoroughly recommend the quality of their work. As you can imagine, you can do no better than go to the manufacturers of the camera. You will find them very helpful and if you contact them by email or telephone, you will be able to explain to them the issue which is concerning you and I am sure they will advise you. Relatively recently I had my Bolex EBM serviced and in conjunction with that I had an auto exposure system installed which is excellent. In my view you can do no better than contact them. I hope this helps..

Edited by Robert Lewis