Anyone upscale for the big screen? How did it turn out?

Now, Perry will tell you upscaling loses sharpness. And that it does...if you use a microscope.

I've done lots of upscaling with still photos. It has its use, but it not a magic bullet.

https://danieldteolijrarchivalcollection.wordpress.com/2019/04/27/to-upscale-or-not-upscale/

But the question here is not how upscaling works for the pixel peepers, it is how does upscaling work in the real world for TV and the big screen when viewed at normal viewing distances. 

When I shot 'Offshoots...' I had to use a relatively low res camera. It produced a 1280x720 file. When I used higher res cameras I got too much moiré while shooting the tablet's screen.

nsfw

I made standard def DVD and Blu-ray 1080 of 'Offshoots...' The upscaled Blu-ray looked very good. Much, much nicer than the standard def DVD. I also made an upscaled file that was 3840x2160. When I burned a Blu-ray of it, the 3840x2160 looked basically the same as the 1920x1080 version on a 70 inch TV and I didn't see any benefit to it one way or the other, even when viewed a few feet from the screen. (I was mainly looking to see if it was less sharp and that is was not.)

But my question is this...

I don't have means to project it bigger. Has anyone upscaled for the big screen?  Would there be any benefit in the 3840x2160 image over the 1920x1080 for projection on big screens? (And if you have not upscaled for the big screen, then what are you basing your opinion on?)

Thanks

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.