Director, Ron Howard

Gregory Irwin

10 hours ago, Gregory Irwin said:

I believe you Robin but I don’t believe that Sony is ignorant towards this lag issue. They don’t want this out there to preserve sales. We have 3 Venice cameras and another show that was prepping along side of us has 3 Sony Venice cameras and all six lagged. The chief tech from Otto Nemenz, who is extremely reputable, has been working with Sony to rectify the problem. 

G

Yes I believe you too sir .. its a users forum rather than an official Sony one .. but yes of course Im sure no one wants to talk about problems with your new camera .. v4 just came out that includes a lot of hard ware changes too it seems.. the boards as you mentioned and some "power outlets " or something ,along those lines.. so hopefully that will address some of the problems.. good luck with the shoot 

• Premium Member

Just used the Venice last week on a job. Loved the image quality and the internal ND's. But I've heard from a few big feature film shooters that the chip has a problem - fixed pattern noise and sensor banding in shadows. Probably won't be noticeable in regular shooting, but could be visible in VFX shots etc. It also has a speed problem only being able to do 30fps in 6K. The minute you need more than that, it will window the chip and drop to 4K, i.e zoom in. I don't understand why they can't just increase compression and use the same sensor size for higher speed. Drives me nuts windowing.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

5 hours ago, Adam Frisch FSF said:

I don't understand why they can't just increase compression and use the same sensor size for higher speed. Drives me nuts windowing.

Mainly, offload bandwidth.

On a modern imaging sensor like that, the analogue-to-digital conversion happens on the chip and it will have several high-speed data buses coming out of it. The amount of data that comes out of those buses may be a limiting factor, and the processing electronics to handle that data may also place limits on what can be done. 

Boosting the performance of all those things increases power consumption, thus heat, and thus noise, both thermal and acoustic, size and weight of the camera, and so on. It's an engineering compromise; you can keep saying "why doesn't it have feature X" forever, and it's all doable, it's just a matter of how much you want to pay for it and how much of a pain you want it to be operationally.

6 hours ago, Adam Frisch FSF said:

Just used the Venice last week on a job. Loved the image quality and the internal ND's. But I've heard from a few big feature film shooters that the chip has a problem - fixed pattern noise and sensor banding in shadows. Probably won't be noticeable in regular shooting, but could be visible in VFX shots etc. It also has a speed problem only being able to do 30fps in 6K. The minute you need more than that, it will window the chip and drop to 4K, i.e zoom in. I don't understand why they can't just increase compression and use the same sensor size for higher speed. Drives me nuts windowing.

Adam .. maybe some joy for you.. with the new V4 just released .. but its a paid license $4k I believe .. but I would imagine all rental companies will do it .. from the Sony blurb..

The new optional High Frame Rate license allows VENICE to shoot at speeds of up to 120fps at 4K 2.39:1, and 60fps at 6K 3:2 as well as up to 110fps at 4K 17:9 and 75fps at 4K 4:3 with anamorphic lenses. The new additional frame rates are particularly well-suited for drama, movie and commercial productions in 4K and 6K, as well as productions at 50/60p in 6K and VR productions using large viewing angle of 6K 3:2 in 60p.

• Premium Member

Whenever you get the pleasure and privilege of being the first to use new technology, it’s a blessing and a curse. You have bragging rights but you are the  Guinea Pig and must learn to deal with the good and bad. 

G

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 7/1/2019 at 12:40 AM, Manu Delpech said:

@Adam Frisch FSF Did you hear this about Top Gun 2? They're using it as the main camera, so I figure Miranda would have caught the chip issue. 

I think Claudio has always enjoyed Sony products. But you're right - he's very technical and discerning, so he would probably not have used it had it had any real problems.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

There’s one thing I’ll say about this Venice... I walk onto the set and I can’t see my hand in front of my face it’s so dimly lit but the exposure and the image is clear as day! Unbelievable! This camera is remarkable at 1600 EI at a 2500 base. 

G

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I shot a commercial for a week with the Venice and the Canon K35 a month ago.. I rated it at 1500ASA on the 2500 Base and at some stage I had to shoot a portrait of a person at night in a lake.. nobody could see anything but the camera, set at 10.000ASA and 359°shutter.

Absolutely amazing the way that it picked the ambience light.. I put a 8x8 frame with light grid cloth and a 1x1 Aladdin dimmed at 5 / 10% and it looked a bit much!

I also underexposed every shot by 1.5 stops (more or less)

I color graded it last week.. and the richness in the colors and the density in the image (even the 10.000 ASA shot) was tremendous.

I don’t want to use an Alexa anymore in my life.

Not sure why it has taken Sony so long.. probably all the meeting and decision by committee ..and a fear of doing anything different than before  .. but at last Sony seem to have come out with a very good high end camera ,thats also pleasing to the eye in design  ..  teething problems not with standing .. 

• Premium Member

Companies like that are obsessively concerned with reliability. For instance, when Sega was making home games machines, one of the prerequisites for a new games release was that several of them would sit there running your game for weeks on end, just to make sure it didn't crash. They've probably got a fix for it already, and I would imagine that fix is sitting in a lab at Sony on long-term burn test.

4 hours ago, Phil Rhodes said:

Companies like that are obsessively concerned with reliability. For instance, when Sega was making home games machines, one of the prerequisites for a new games release was that several of them would sit there running your game for weeks on end, just to make sure it didn't crash. They've probably got a fix for it already, and I would imagine that fix is sitting in a lab at Sony on long-term burn test.

Yes the recently announced V4 upgrade .. you have to send the camera in as there a ton of actual. hard ware replacements as well as software ..