Grip Truck - Liftgate Recommendations..

Joseph Tese

• Premium Member

Howdy!

Looking at a 16' Box on Isuzu NPR.

Considering installing a new liftgate (Railgate Style). 64"?

Does anyone have any recommendations for lift-gate brand, length, and style - and any other specifics I'm not thinking about when installing? I see a lot of TommyGates for G&E trucks for some reason, but don't know if they are the most durable.

• Premium Member

Looking at the ILM 72" depth. The ILK seems like it would have larger install costs, but will look into those as well. We will see how the quotes stack up. Spoke to rep, the ILK requires a higher bed height (ground clearence from ground to bed floor).  Also the ILK might blow the budget.

We're also switching to a cuter, 14' box, probably 94". The rep says an ILM  Railgate Style will accommodate the whole width. He says the terminology on the website (Looks like it's all 88" for ILM models) is not accurate? Don't know what the deal is there, but will find out.

With these factors, I feel like the ILM will probably be the cost effective option for our size box and application.

Here's a rough outline of carts. 92" worst case scenario.

Ed, do you have an opinion on Backstage vs Studiocarts?

Asset 4@17x.png

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, Ed Conley said:

"Ed, do you have an opinion on Backstage vs Studiocarts?"

Either brand. 

We have Backstage and Studio.

Purchased one Backstage new and then just scooped up other carts off CL when available.

I wish I could find used carts on CL where I live..

• Premium Member

Can you guys also speak to truck class ratings for this set-up and weight?

Class 4 NPR's are the most common in this size. (14-16ft)

But can a Class 3 Box do it as well?

Any recommendations on the box layout / installs (Such as caibnetry, etc)?

The Studio/Back stage carts are nice but $$$$$$$ for sure.

I would check into hiring a local welder to make a carts. The only thing that might be out of their realm would be the brake mechanism. 

I could send you detailed photos and measurements if you decide to check it out.

It's all common steel 

• Premium Member

I'm all for making stuff, and make attempts myself when I can.

Would absolutely love to see what you have, especially if it makes it easier for a local source to replicate..

I think you'll hit weight quickly on a Class 3 truck 

GVWR of 10,001–14,000

Remember that is the Gross weight. Base truck weight plus the box, liftgate and gear- it adds up quickly.

When they advertise payload they are not including the box since each truck could have a different box on the chassis. 

Isuzu advertises a Class 3 NPR diesel with 7,500 payload.  
How much does the box and liftgate weigh ? 

• Premium Member

Ed,

A mostly aluminum gate build should live between 700-1000lbs. Once I confirm model, I'll keep that in mind.

Called Morgan, and said that a 16' box can be between 3,500-4,000 lbs. Of course a little less for 14'.

Figure 5,000 LBS for the Box & Gate to be on the safe side.. My guess at calculating the actual load would be dodgy at best...Maybe 4,500lbs?

Edited by Joseph Tese

• Premium Member

Definitely going with Palfinger ILM, 2500, single piece (not split) gate. Would be nice to have a cantilever style but, you know, money. Did a lot of research with comparable models between the "three" leading brands, if anyone needs to know.

Pretty sure our payload would be appropriate for Class 4.

Edited by Joseph Tese

• 1 month later...