Diffusion Filter Mulholland Dr.

Hi guys, 

Anyone knows what diffusion Deming used on Mulholland Drive to capture that Hollywood glow? And what would you use on a digital camera to achieve the same? 

In case you don't remember, here's the trailer. 

Thanks

Tiago

• Premium Member

Isn’t the point of diffusion to soften the image? That’s what is happening in “Mulholland Drive” with the net diffusion.

If you want more halation but less softening then a mist diffusion like Black ProMist is better than a net. But there is no filter that causes glowing that doesn’t affect sharpness to some degree.

If I had to use glass diffusion for a net effect, I’d probably use Hollywood Black Magic, but that softens more than a mist diffusion.

David, you're absolutely right. I meant a filter that would affect more the highlights than sharpness. Because for this net filtering to work, I feel you need to start with a really sharp lens, otherwise the image would look too soft when the desired halation is reached. On the other hand, soft lenses also tend to halate more, so maybe things would balance each other. 

• Premium Member

The advantage of glass diffusion tends to be that it comes in degrees of strength as opposed to using a Dior net, for example.

The Hollywood Black Magic has a 1/8 Black Frost as a base for all strengths for a bit of a misty glow, then degrees of softening from an HD Classic Soft, which also adds a bit of a blurred glow.

6 hours ago, David Mullen ASC said:

The advantage of glass diffusion tends to be that it comes in degrees of strength as opposed to using a Dior net, for example.

The Hollywood Black Magic has a 1/8 Black Frost as a base for all strengths for a bit of a misty glow, then degrees of softening from an HD Classic Soft, which also adds a bit of a blurred glow.

Thanks David! For this Mulholland Dr effect, what strength of Hollywood BM would be more adequate? 1/4?

Thanks