The real world vs. the camera fondler.

Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

This post is from Photrio Forum. They are a mainly analog, still film forum. They don't like me posting there any longer...the mods didn't like my photos. But I still check in periodically and read it to keep up with the film devotees.

The title of this guys post was entitled.

'EXPOSING WITHOUT A METER FOR MENTAL SOLACE' 

Really it should have been termed 'Exposing without a meter for ego sake.' Some photogs like to make photography a game. I've read all sort of things online..."street photography does not count unless you look the subject in the eye"..."never crop a photo, if you crop it, it was not meant to be taken,"... "don't use a screen on your digital camera so you can concentrate on the subject be surprised later like the film era"...and on and on.  

Here is his post:

David Lyga

David Lyga Member

Ads Enabled
Shooter:
35mm
There is something mentally exhilarating with taking a bare, meter-less camera and shooting correctly, knowing how to expose for the light that is there. To aid in this fantasy, I translate all shutter speeds and aperture settings into exposure values (EV) calling the combination thereof, simply a CEV. In other words, a given scene, in conjunction with a given film speed, requires, simply, a determined CEV, a single number. This elimination of a meter 'telling' me how to expose allows me to consider the camera an extension of my eye and brain.

Take a standard ISO 400 film: the exposure that I would give for an extremely sunny scene with shadow detail that is not predominant would be either a '17' or even '16' (if the shadow detail is really important). This is not the problem and the sunny f 16 rule comes to the mighty rescue (but my CEVs prevent having to use only f16). The real problems emanate from those overcast days where the determination of just how much light is coming forth becomes a bit more trying. I have learned that this amount of light can wreck mental havoc and the eye's need to assimilate and modify its response can add to the confusion. Is the scene a '12'? Is the scene a '10'? Is the scene a '14'? Indoors is a bit easier as 'artificial light' can be categorized into 'high', 'medium', 'low', 'dim', etc with surprising efficiency and accuracy.

Reflectance meters can be a problem if you are not fully aware that they want to see only medium gray and don't know that a particular scene does NOT want to be categorized as such. White people in light colored clothing against a light backdrop turns that meter into an obstacle. Black people in dark clothing against a dark backdrop turns that meter into an obstacle. Neither scenes are accurately portrayed as medium in tone. But the mind, equipped with knowledge about the light's intensity, can save the day in such situations.

Bottom line: am I being falsely optimistic or is it really possible to capture the intention of light with one's accumulated knowledge and experiences? How much freer I would feel without the meter as being part of my handicap. - David Lyga

https://www.photrio.com/forum/threads/exposing-without-a-meter-for-mental-solace.168306/

End of post

When Leica first came out with a custom, screen-less digital camera, they charged almost triple what the camera with the screen cost. Some camera fondlers were trying to justify in their mind how paying 3X times the price of a camera with a screen not to get the screen was worth it. They felt the screen was a distraction and the root of all their problems....without the screen they would magically take great photos. 

Personally I almost never use a meter with digital photography, but I do use the screen extensively to get an exposure dialed in. I shoot manual about 90% of the time, when snapshot shooting I may use auto exposure. In the old days we used $$ polaroid backs on view cameras to get dialed in. I view the digital screen as a gift from God. Now, in the film era I almost always used a meter, although when fast shooting much of my street work was a guestimate...no time for a meter. That is where experience helps. 

In the digital era sometimes I can't shoot a test shot for exposure. You got one shot to get it and experience is needed for success. Here was a tough guestimate I shot a while back.

'Christmas 2017' NYC Infrared Flash (Candid) from 'Living in a Cardboard Box' project.

living-in-a-cardboard-box-ir-flash-d.d.-teoli-jr.thumb.jpg.40f4729ec2c77e56116fbb8a8ff31907.jpg

Click to view.

(This is a low-res version, hi-res photo looks better than this.)

This was taken while walking by at night with the camera at my side, swinging my arm and shot at the apex of the arm swing, blind - aka shooting from the hip. The bright white foam insulation was a foot from the camera flash and the main subject matter was about 6 feet away. Focus was zone estimate, exposure was a guesstimate of  splitting the difference of 1 foot to 6 foot and was worked out in post.

Sure, there is excitement when getting a shot like this. But it is not a game. I put the shot first, not my ego. I use every available tool to get the shot.

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.