Attempting to get Fake Blue Moonlight Look

Team. Hello. I have purchased Shane Hurlbut's how to light night exterior on his website (the link below is part of the series but is not the one i am trying to replicate). I am trying to recreate the colors he is getting with the warm skin tones but blue background light. On the course his camera was set at WB 3800k and the fake moonlight is set at 5600k. He used a red dragon on his example while i am using a pocket cinema camera 4k for mine. Why does my 5600k (Aputure 120d Mk 2) look so much more neutral than his. Is it because of the dragon sensor? Is it because of his metal halide back light?  Or is it both? Thank you all for your time. 

My screenshot link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yP0Hv8PzIDFMvZbPM5vrSegQe-NR6Uzd

first off happy belated birthday to you sir and thank you once again for your reply. Basically the harsher the light the bluer it should get? I did bounce the 120d off the ceiling so i guess it wasnt really 5600k by the time it hit the back wall. That makes sense. 

Edited by Jae Solina

2 hours ago, Jae Solina said:

Hmm odd. Nevermind. I tried the same set up with my red dragon camera. I am now getting bluer 5600k. Guess camera matters.

It could be an interaction between the camera and the light. Remember that LEDs have a spikey colour output. The BM might be fine with a halide light. At a guess, the the 120D might be putting too much blue, preventing that underexposure you need:

Screen-Shot-2017-02-01-at-6.13.14-PM-600

I think this is reasonably typical for an HMI -

Emission-spectrum-of-typical-575W-HMI-la

Did Hurlbut discuss what type of light you should use?

You could try the alternate technique Fury Road used instead -

https://www.fxguide.com/fxfeatured/a-graphic-tale-the-visual-effects-of-mad-max-fury-road/#dayfornight

..If I was you, I'd ask on a BM forum about this.

Edited by David Mawson

bmforum is not as active as this one unfortunately. thank you for the input. mr hurlbut used DIY metal halide lights light metered at 5600k. Honestly, i am thinking about investing in hmi's. i will check out the link

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, Jae Solina said:

Hmm odd. Nevermind. I tried the same set up with my red dragon camera. I am now getting bluer 5600k. Guess camera matters.

It also matters how the camera is set to convert to color in terms of gamma, saturation, black level, etc.  Maybe you are just seeing a log image from the BM camera, or maybe its Rec.709 conversion needs to be adjusted for more contrast.

• Premium Member

I find that full blue looks a bit over the top, especially if it's rather underexposed. I've heard a lot of people correct halfway back (that is, half CTO on a daylight light) for a more subtle coolness.

Night is now also sometimes green.