Problem with Quicktime MOV files on laptop

Patrick Cooper

I have video files which I believe are Quicktime MOV files and I have no issue playing them on Windows Media Player and importing them into Sony Movie Studio on an old Windows 7 pc with 32 bit system. However, I cannot do the same with a laptop running Windows 7 and 64 bit system. On the laptop, WMM won't recognise the files. I haven't tried VLC as yet as I don't have that on the laptop yet.

When I try and import these video files into Sony Movie Studio on the laptop, I get two kinds of error messages. The first message says: "An error occurred while opening one or more files. The file format plugin for the specified format was not properly initialised."

The second message says: "The Sony QuickTime plug-in was not able to initialise the QuickTime components on your system. It appears that Quicktime for Windows is not properly installed.

Quicktime files cannot be read or written without a full installation of the Quicktime version 7.1.6 or greater components, including the authoring components.

If you are connected to the internet, Quicktime can be installed from the following location

Download QuickTime 7.7.9 for Windows"

Ive downloaded the file from that link in the past but it didn't make any difference. I thought I may as well try again anyway. I came across an option to download Quicktime 7.7.9 from the Quicktime website. I began the download and noted that the publisher was Apple Inc and it was a Quicktime Installer exe file. I was then given options to Modify, Repair or Remove Quicktime (presumably because Ive downloaded the same file in the past.) I selected Repair and went ahead with the installation process. Afterwards, I tried importing the same MOV files into Sony Movie Studio again and got exactly the same error messages.

Any idea what's going on? It's a problem that's been going on for a very long time and Ive never been able to solve it. Fairly soon, I'm having a new computer built to replace the old pc and I guess it's likely that I'll have the same issues with the new machine.

By the way, I discovered that I can import these MOV files into Shotcut on the laptop. So that's something at least.

• Premium Member

Strange issue. Most likely your version of windows 7 is different between the two computers, which is why there is a complication with installation. Quicktime for PC is 32 bit as well, so perhaps it doesn't work properly on the 64 bit system? 

Yea it's definitely a weird issue. I guess on a positive side, at least I could use the Shotcut software on the laptop to convert the files to a different format which can be recognised by Sony Movie Studio and WMM. And there's a fair chance I'll probably be doing the same thing on the new pc running Windows 10.