How Ilford film is made

Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

Lots of history gone...where are the films for Kodak's, Ansco's, Dupont's and Agfa's film operation?? Amazing how they made film back in the day with no hi-tech...huh? Especially Kodachrome.

Here is Kodak's film spooling operation from 1945. Taken in the dark with infrared flash (bulbs)

kodak-film-spooling-infrared-flash-may-1945-popular-photo-v15 lr.jpg

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

Almost 10 years ago, I tested Ilford Delta 400 for motion picture, and talked to their rep about whether they could manufacture 35mm film with BH perforations.  

The short version of the story is that Ilford's motion picture products weren't profitable, so they ceased manufacture when they went through receivership in 2004.  

There's nothing about the emulsion itself that would preclude using it for motion picture.  One would simply need to order a large enough quantity of unperforated stock, and pay another company to perforate or cut down to the desired gauge (Orwo being the top candidate).  

The project I was testing for changed direction after that, so that's as far as I went, which is a shame since the Delta 400 performed quite well.

comparison.jpg