Supervalu - GAA - Where You Are From - Directed by Matt Houghton

• Premium Member

Earlier in June I was asked to shoot a 4 days commercial for UK director Matt Houghton. 

To say that I was scared and pretty nervous is a understatement because I was beyond that.. Matt, having worked with people like Rachel Morrison, Rina Yang and the likes was a very imposing figure for an upcoming cinematographer like me. 

Anyways, we went on to shoot this GAA commercial for Supervalu (an Irish food chainstore) which was all about roots, family, community, etc and along the way I discovered one of my flaws as a dop, which made me really happy. 

We shot on the Sony Venice with the Canon K35 and I just fell in love with this camera that Sony has created. The richness of the blacks and the tones is spectacular. 

The way I tried to light it was just by enhancing what was already on the locations, with a very minimal approach as we were travelling ALL AROUND Ireland for 4 days with minimal crew.

Matt Branton from Windmill Lane in Ireland did the colour grading. He is really really good and the way he approached the grading was really honest and truthful to the material. 

I have to say that our director, Matt Houghton knows how to look into the soul of any given character to bring what makes him / her human, it was such a wonderful experience to be by his side on this project. 

Supervalu - GAA - Where You Are From

I hope you like it! 

Have a lovely day!

• Premium Member

Looks great Miguel, well done. 

Those K35s are super funky. I just assumed it was an anamorphic shoot until I read your description!

Wouldn't have guessed it was a "Sony" shoot either, the Venice really is a return to form for Sony (it looks much more like the lovely F35 than their newer sensors).

What was the weakness you uncovered?

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 7/15/2019 at 6:28 AM, John Holland said:

Looks fantastic !

Thanks so much John!!!! :) 

On 7/15/2019 at 8:38 AM, Mark Kenfield said:

Looks great Miguel, well done. 

Those K35s are super funky. I just assumed it was an anamorphic shoot until I read your description!

Wouldn't have guessed it was a "Sony" shoot either, the Venice really is a return to form for Sony (it looks much more like the lovely F35 than their newer sensors).

What was the weakness you uncovered?

Many thanks Mark!

I really liked the K35s!

I had wanted to work with them years ago but never had the chance so I was pretty happy to use them. 

However, I just finished a shoot with the Venice AND the Supreme Primes.. and the way the Supremes fit the Venice is really wonderful.
i don't want to shoot with an Alexa anymore haha.

I realized that I was (and am) specially polite, too polite sometimes to ask for things to happen and also, because of that it was taking me a lot of time to communicate with people because they had to decode what I wanted. 
Now that I have started to be more straight (and blunt sometimes) people knows what i want straight away. 

22 hours ago, Mathew Rudenberg said:

The shot at 0:45 is very pretty but also quite grainy... could I ask what iso/ shutter/ stop it was at and if you tried any post filters to reduce the grain?

Hi Mathew!! thanks for the compliment! 

That particular shot was shot at 6000ASA at T2.

Matt (Colour grader) had applied a denoising filter but we didn't like the result when it was full on.. and I REALLY love noise! (I usually shoot with the Alexa at 3200 ASA) so we asked for it to be removed.. but at the end it stayed there.. at a 5% if I remember correctly.

Have a lovely day!

• Premium Member

What do you feel was the usable ISO range you could squeeze out of the Venice Miguel? 

It looks like 6000 ISO is probably a step too far (in most circumstances). Can you push it a stop to 5000 ISO (one stop up from the 2500 ISO base) without too much pain?

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 7/17/2019 at 4:13 AM, Mark Kenfield said:

What do you feel was the usable ISO range you could squeeze out of the Venice Miguel? 

It looks like 6000 ISO is probably a step too far (in most circumstances). Can you push it a stop to 5000 ISO (one stop up from the 2500 ISO base) without too much pain?

Obviously usable means different things for different people, I'd say that for most people 4000ASA would be ok and it doesn't really need to be denoised. 

However, I was shooting a passion project last Monday with the Venice and I tried using 10000ASA on daylight and the noise looked gorgeous!!!!