Reflective Water Effect W/ Bounced Sunlight

Hi, I'm shooting a music video project. we have some "surreal" sorta "dreamy" close up shots in a scene near a swimming pool and I'd like to motivate some reflective water effects on face of talent. 

I'm curious if anyone has done this with bounced sunlight off a mirror or shinny board w/ something to distort the light?

I have found the opposite ... you actually want a dark surface under your water.. give both try .. you will get a lot more "effect" from a black bin liner in a water tray than mirrors and tin foil bright under neath..   or just have a look at a dark murky river in sun light..  the light is bouncing off the water not the mirror etc..

Edited by Robin R Probyn
spelling
  • Upvote 1

I agree with Robin, dark vessel + light reflecting from the top of the water creates the most convincing look.  A mirror in the bottom will reflect more light, but that will dilute the ripple effect itself.

An Instagram page I follow had a recent post about doing a very similar effect with strips of mylar:

It's not quite the same effect as water, it doesn't have the organic ripples, but it is a much easier process.

Edited by Adam Froehlich
clarification

13 hours ago, rob norton said:

What's the benefit of using a pan/tray vs. a mirror/hard reflector straight into the pool?

I know its seems counter intuitive .. but ask any gaffer or DP with a lot of experience .. you get a much better result with a dark bottom to your water tray.. mirrors is the last thing you want .. the physics was explained to me but I can't remember it .. I learnt this from Barry Ackroyd BSC shooting music videos in the 80,s.. as an assistant  but it was surprising how many DP,s didn't know it and used mirror etc..   any big set with an experienced Gaffer/DP.. you will see black bottomed trays for that effect.. 

Thanks Robin.

I guess I was asking why bring a tray of any kind (mirror or dark surface) into the equation since the OP will be near a pool anyway. I've been on set where an M18 (night) or mirror/hard reflecor (day) was simply aimed into the pool. The tray probably gives you more control over the reflection too? At any rate I definitely believe you about a dark tray producing a better effect and will try the technique when I get the chance!

14 hours ago, rob norton said:

Thanks Robin.

I guess I was asking why bring a tray of any kind (mirror or dark surface) into the equation since the OP will be near a pool anyway. I've been on set where an M18 (night) or mirror/hard reflecor (day) was simply aimed into the pool. The tray probably gives you more control over the reflection too? At any rate I definitely believe you about a dark tray producing a better effect and will try the technique when I get the chance!

ah right sorry I get you.. yes I think its would be for more control over where you have your effect is and you might want the pool and surroundings in the shot too.. that would limit where you could put your light ?