HP Z800, as cheap workstation for post

Gregg MacPherson

I'm thinking of getting back into some engineering codes for finite element and simulation and just bought an HP Z800. Seems like these would be a good and extremely cheap workstation for digital editing also, though this would be a big leap for me, I only ever cut on film.

They have Dual Xeon CPUs with the later ones  3.46GHz/ 3.73GHz Max Turbo.  Total of 12 cores, 24 threads. 12Mb cache. They can take 192GB of DDR3 RAM in 12 slots and fairly grunty looking Quadro/ GE Force graphics cards. There are quite a few on eBay and many sell cheap. Saw some, under USD500, already with their  SSD and HDD, just needing RAM and better video card. The RAM is cheap, USD260 for 192GB.

Just seven years behind the wave front of new technology....grunty and cheap...Lots of info out there about them.  My one was bought here, NZ for  USD694 with 240GB SSD, 6Tb of HDDs, 32GB RAM, Asus 2GB GTX670 graphics.

So much fun, for so little money...

• 2 weeks later...

I bought an HP Z200 almost four years ago and use it for editing with Premiere Pro. Has an intel i7 870 processor at 2.9Ghz, a 1TB hard drive and a 2GB video card and runs win 10 Pro 64 bit. I got it for $228 on ebay, bought two new 8GB matched RAM cards for it for 16Gb RAM. Total cost was about $300.

Edited by Bob Speziale

Around 1989 I was a sys admin and took delivery on a Sun server about the size of a tall refrigerator. It had a hard drive that held 750MBs (3/4 of one GB). The drive cost $100,000, weighed 86 lbs and was a foot square x 36" of metal. It took two of us to slide it into the server rack. Today the 16GB card in my camera costs $10, or 20 times more storage at 1/10,000th the cost and weighs less than 1/10 of an ounce.

Edited by Bob Speziale
  • Upvote 1