Euphoria

Super special show. Shot on the Alexa 65 with DNA lenses, looks great. There are segments made to look like film with a different ratio. Watching it on broadcast with the compression, I think those sections are film but I won't commit to it. They're made to look like super 16 (you even have hair in the gate, and it's not a fixed pattern) but somehow it seems maybe too sharp to be 16mm? So I guess those sections are a great DI trick. 

19 minutes ago, Gregg MacPherson said:

IMdb tech specs says some of it is shot on S16. I haven't seen this show yet. Must do.

Interesting, that changed. I can't find any info from Kodak about it which is surprising because the show is very popular and there are some extensive film (supposedly) segments in several episodes. 

• Premium Member

Yea for sure everything in that trailer was Alexa 65, it has such a beautiful large imager look. Where the trailer was beautifully cut and cinematography was gorgeous, the story doesn't look that interesting. Seems like a generic high school anti-drug show to me. :shrug: 

"Anti-drug" shows tend to be either cautionary tales of self destruction like Requiem for a Dream which visually beat you over the head with a hammer in their presentation of the horror of addiction.  Or a ridiculous satire like Rules of Attraction that becomes an exercise in patience as you laugh uncomfortably waiting for every character to fail.

Euphoria has a distinct approach to it's characters, themes, giving them lengthy cold opens of backstory for context. Even if the episode isn't really about them. Though the central character Rue narrates it, her neutral, nonjudgemental tone is neither for or against the characters behavior.  As a viewer, you can easily empathize with the lot of them because the look of the show is intoxicating and draws you in to their world completely.   So for that reason, I think it's worth a mention.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • Premium Member
On 8/2/2019 at 9:42 AM, Manu Delpech said:

It's actually a very special show. Confirmation by Kodak liking a tweet referring to Euphoria that they indeed shot the segments I mentioned on film !

seems they started with Arri Alexa in Season 1 and then shot season 2 on 35mm with Arricam LT....

• Premium Member

Season 2 - Marcel Rév and the Director confirms shooting on Ektachrome 35mm, they wanted it to look like '5am, way past the point when everyone should have gone home" hahaha

I will definitely watch this series as I recently subscribed to HBO Max for 4,50 euros a month offer from Spanish HBO Max. 

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

watching season 1 as we speak.....I thin its a superb series.....gutsy.....great performances....highly recommended.

To me its got the darkness and deviance of 'Eyes Wide Shut' by Kubrick.....I have not read or seen any reviews of it as we speak I wonder if anyone feels the same??

Edited by Stephen Perera
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
2 hours ago, Kemalettin Sert said:

I think 2nd seasons is just boring and story being repetetive as well.I just watch for the cinematography thats all.1st season was way better in the terms of story and editing.

Totally disagree...this last episode was epic.....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

And it’s just getting better and better……exquisite use of film stock…..latest episode season 2 episode 7 uses both Ektchrome and definitely the sublime 500T for sure…..and what a piece of directing and acting I am being blown away by this series…..you have to be a parent of teenager + and be 40+ to really really understand and get all this at a higher level…that’s my feelings……Im sure they referenced Felix the 13 year old boy that appeared on The Face magazine back in the day for the character of the kid drug dealer “Ashtray” played by Javon Walton

8BA6BEEE-DEBE-4101-A44A-953779F9AAE6.jpeg

Edited by Stephen Perera
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
On 2/21/2022 at 2:54 PM, Manu Delpech said:

Incredible episode indeed. Sam Levinson is madly talented. 

Manu.....another epic!!! episode to end the season(?) with......must say after the 'peak' of what was happening going back to the 'loss of the father' chat they lost me there and my mind started to wander....I would have cut that short.....I could not wait for that scene to change.....but wow what a series.....looks soooooo good in that 500T especially

Edited by Stephen Perera