What are your thoughts of the Canon FD range?

Hi All, 

I'm a new member but have been reading this forum for years.

I'm a 25 year old budding cinematographer from South Africa.  After fulfilling AC & operator roles across the spectrum for the past years, I've recently had the privilege to land work as a cinematographer and/or director on large release Music Videos & commercials. 

Basically I want to improve my personal rig to shoot more narrative passion projects. 

I have a great Contax Zeiss set but it has one problem. When shooting S35 format, the lenses wider than a 35mm don't perform well enough in terms of speed & range. They suit the full frame format well, but I feel I can do better for my personal, passion project rig comprising of a fuji X-t2.

After doing a bit of research, I realised that a new Canon FD set might be right for me. I know they're also full frame lenses, but spec wise, they do perform better than the Contax Zeiss's on the wider side of things. I love the look of the K35 lenses and apparently the FD's might be something similar? I'm thinking of starting with the set of 20mm f2.8 24mm f2, 35mm f2, & 50mm f1.2L.

In a nutshell, what's your take on using the FD lenses for narrative filmmaking and does anyone have advice on which ones to buy?

Edited by Joshua Levi