Deciding on which stock for studio shoot

Hi everyone.

I'm just about to shoot a studio fashion shoot, mostly on 16mm, and I'm toying with various film-stocks and can't make a decision (I haven't shot 16mm inside before)

Firstly, most shots will be relatively close, waist-up, some full-body, so lighting can be relatively close to the talent.

I was considering 50D, mainly for its beautiful contrast and colour rendition. It's by far my favourite stock. But I'm worried about getting enough light in there to get a good, contrasty image.

Budget is pretty tight, so was going to light with tungsten to give me more to play with, but I'm thinking that I will melt the talent and their eyes, which won't be good. I have been told that I can just shoot tungsten light on daylight stock, and just note it for the lab to correct in post. I want some warmth in the image, so will this work?

So the other option is 200T, but I'm yet to shoot with it. I have shot with 500T and didn't like its' graininess.

Other option is 250D, which I like, but nowhere near as much as 50D.

Any advice here is much appreciated. Shall I just give up on the 50D image and run with 200T and calm down a bit? Or light with HMI?

Lee

Sounds like 200T is the most sensible choice. 50D would need a lot more light,

It is possible use tungsten lighting on daylight stock  and colour correct in post. But its not perfect, you reduce your colour correction latitude, and increase grain because your underexposing the blue layer and pushing in post.  You can of course use CTB filters but thats going to rob you 2/3 of stop of exposure. 

50D of course can work, but its dependant on your light package, shot size and lighting style. You can get away with smaller fixtures if your going for a hard light look. But on fashion I'd guess you'd go for a more flattering soft light look, that would need bigger fixtures.

If your are lighting to high light levels with tungsten, it can get pretty toasty. Might be an issue on a fashion shoot with models sweating and makeup melting. 

If it were me I'd go with 200T and rate it at 100 to 125 ASA to tighten up the grain. It would still need a decent lighting package, but it makes it a bit easier to get a soft lighting look 

16mm is grainy though so at some level you have to go with that. If your after a cleaner look rather then battling 16mm 50D I'd change format and look at digital or 35mm. But then I like 500T 16mm, because I enjoy the grit and the grain, its nice getting some texture into the image

Giray,  understand that 16mm is grainy. I've shot on it many times. But, there are multiple levels of grain between different stocks, and they can be affected heavily by light levels. Hence my question. 

Thanks for your response Phil. I think I am going to go with 200T, and light with a 5K fixture through a 6x6 on an inline dimmer, and dim it down ever so slightly, so as to keep a slight warmth.

Then I can use 2K to fill, and 1k / redhead for some rim lights.

Good to know about underexposing daylight stocks blue layer. Will keep that in mind for future.

Edited by Lee Burnett