Magazine for the Debrie Parvo "L"

Will Edwards

• Premium Member

I very much doubt anything "recent" will work as a replacement. It's likely magazines from other models (E, G, K) would work, or from Askania replicas, etc. It's a fairly simple device, you could possibly manufacture something based on an original, but it would need to locate accurately, have a compatible core, be lightproof and feed or take up the film without scratching.

Perhaps a collector with 6 mags might sell you a few? 

On 8/9/2019 at 12:50 AM, Dom Jaeger said:

I very much doubt anything "recent" will work as a replacement. It's likely magazines from other models (E, G, K) would work, or from Askania replicas, etc. It's a fairly simple device, you could possibly manufacture something based on an original, but it would need to locate accurately, have a compatible core, be lightproof and feed or take up the film without scratching.

Perhaps a collector with 6 mags might sell you a few? 

I've scoured eBay, forums, and 5 pages of google results. Nothing so far.

I know a guy that dabbles in old movie cameras but it's very unlikely that he'll have any magazines.

Perhaps there's some place I haven't looked?

• Premium Member

These cameras are pretty valuable collector’s pieces, you might have more luck with antique auction houses rather than eBay. 

A couple of dozen Parvos have gone for sale in the last 5 years at the auction houses listed in this resource: 

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/search/?keyword=Debrie Parvo&sort=-relevance&status=archive

Finding just magazines for sale will be tricky as they would usually go together in a complete kit.

If you can track down collectors who may have bought a kit with lots of mags they might be open to parting with one or two. There are cine camera collector groups online that may be of help.

Did you get hold of a Debrie Parvo with no magazines? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2019 at 10:20 PM, Dom Jaeger said:

These cameras are pretty valuable collector’s pieces, you might have more luck with antique auction houses rather than eBay. 

A couple of dozen Parvos have gone for sale in the last 5 years at the auction houses listed in this resource: 

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/search/?keyword=Debrie Parvo&sort=-relevance&status=archive

Finding just magazines for sale will be tricky as they would usually go together in a complete kit.

If you can track down collectors who may have bought a kit with lots of mags they might be open to parting with one or two. There are cine camera collector groups online that may be of help.

Did you get hold of a Debrie Parvo with no magazines? 

I purchased one a couple years ago as a display piece. I wanted to try and shoot with it, but discovered that there was only one magazine.

I'll try to find some online collectors groups and see if anyone can spare a magazine.

On a side note, a modern core will not fit into the magazine. Would I have to spool the film onto the Debrie core in a darkroom, or is there an adapter available?

Edited by Will Edwards

• Premium Member

I don't know when film core size became standardised, maybe the 30s when a lot of standardisation in the film industry occurred, but it must have been after the Debrie Parvo was designed. It's possible there was an adapter for Parvo mags but if so finding one could be quite a job. It's probably more likely that you could buy film on Parvo cores back in those days.  I think you'll have to spool the film on to the Debrie core.

If you have one magazine, you might be able to 3D print another one to match?