XL2 Promo Piece...

MattC

• Premium Member
"One World" was a promotional piece I did for the Worlds Fair For Kids. This group is putting on the first worlds fair for kids and families.  I shot, edited and did the graphics for it.

Let me know what you think - this was my first time doing anything like this.

Matt

OK,

The first thing is, you have two Quicktime movies on that page that both download at the same time and it was sloooooooooooooooow.

As for the promo itself:

Here's my thinking about talking head interviews and it extends include to press conferences: They are shot for the SOUND! To get the info from the horses mouth and once you've established who it is that's talking- GET OFF OF IT! Cover it with pictures. TV is a visual medium and the first 5 minutes or so of your "promo" is all talking head shots and as long as I paid attention, they all seemed to be saying roughly the same thing.

Lighting the sit-down interview is a point of pride for television DP's and everybody likes to develope a visual style for them, but you do that knowing that the shot is only gonna be up briefly unless what their talking about is something that's HIGHLY personal. You shot 5 or 6 people in the same chair, with the same lighting, all facing the same direction, with nothing in between to break up the monotony. And it was monotonous, in content and visually.

I actually gave up by the time you got to the shot of the robot. How many minutes in was that? WAAAAAAY too much talking with nothing to look at and nobody saying anything; "great..there's gonna be a worlds fair for families.." Your viewers really only need to hear that info from ONE of those people, not all six or whatever.

I realise that the fair ground itself is not built yet therefore you could not shoot it but there must be other things to do in Orlando, right? Shoot some of that. Take that Robot out into the streets and shoot peoples reactions to it. Create some buzz. You're PROMOTING an event! Take it to a playground and shoot what happens (don't forget releases). Are there any working drawings of the plans for the facility? Shoot them, then shoot the construction. ANYTHING- but get off of those talking head shots.

I saw the title to your post and, having a soon-to-be 7 year old, I was thinking,"Hmm, a Worlds Fair... Let's see here.." then I watched the "promo" and it absolutely sapped the interest right out of me.

Ofcourse this is just my opinion but you asked for comments. If you haven't submitted it to whomever hired you to do it, I would strongly urge you to rethink it.

Thank you very much for the feedback.

This video was made for a group of investors in North Carolina to watch while eating diner (because they couldn't make the press conference). The press conference was held in NYC and I had three days to put this together. It was very successful in raising capital though (they raised the whole $1M that night). But if I do regular promo pieces in the future I will try to incorporate all of your suggestions. Thank you!

Matt

• Premium Member
Thank you very much for the feedback.

This video was made for a group of investors in North Carolina to watch while eating diner (because they couldn't make the press conference).  The press conference was held in NYC and I had three days to put this together.  It was very successful in raising capital though (they raised the whole $1M that night).  But if I do regular promo pieces in the future I will try to incorporate all of your suggestions.  Thank you!

Matt

Hi Matt,

I was under the impression (obviously mistaken) that it was a promo to encourage tourism, so I stand corrected and beg your pardon. In which case, it sounds like it was succesful and you can't beat that.

Congratulations.

Hi Matt,

I was under the impression (obviously mistaken) that it was a promo to encourage tourism, so I stand corrected and beg your pardon. In which case, it sounds like it was succesful and you can't beat that.

Congratulations.

Thanks, I'm sure I'll be doing some promo pieces and will certainly try to incorporate your suggestions. For those I guess an ideal length would be three minutes?

Also, I guess my terminology was wrong, this probably isn't a "promo" piece - what would you call it?

Matt