Super 16 for Instagram Finish

Sean Dahlberg

Hello All,

Does anyone in here have experience in shooting super 16 for an Instagram finish?  If so, in what ways were you able to achieve this without degrading your images?  For an upcoming shoot, the client wants both a 1.85 finish and a finish for Instagram; what's the smartest way to go about this?   Thank you for your help and consideration in answering this question!

Maybe start with 1:1 and then crop in rather then the other way round. I personally in post have found it easier to crop from squarer formats to widescreen - rather then start widescreen and crop to square - but thats personal taste.

Or you could do some middle ground where the 1:1 is taller then the 1.85:1 and the 1:85:1 is a bit wider then 1:1 - either with a common top line or some version of the fincher ground glass. if that makes sense. 

Maybe practice drawing some frame lines on a DLRS and shoot some stuff - see what position allows you to make an image that looks ok for both 1:1 and 1:85:1. Remembering that its a compromise and some shots will work better then others and need a bit of moving about in post any why. 

It might even make sense to shoot R16 4:3 in the same way james cameron shot super 35 in 4:3 to give him lots of space to reframe for various formats. The extra hight of 4:3 might be useful for the insta 1:1. 

Or digital

Thank you Phil for the helpful reply, what you said is making some sense to me  Just for my own curiosity, if I were to make a timeline in Premiere I would make my 16x9 option 1080x608 and my 1x1 option 1080x1080, correct?  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey man,

I am attaching a spec breakdown for 16x9, 9x16, 4x5 and 1x1 breakout ratios.

Agreed on the point above, it is generally easier to work with a 4x5 frame so your images are already centered. That way, when you setup your 9x16 sequence, the images are mostly all centered. And you can just reset your frame positioning for 16x9. Works for me.

Also, Premiere CC 2019 just introduced an auto-reframe feature that will do crops for us via automated keyframing ?Check out my attachment for an Excel sheet of the crop breakouts. Here is a link about the new feature in Premiere, too.

Link: https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/09/13/adobe-auto-reframe-for-premiere-pro/

Hope that helps.

_181004_Sequence_Specs.xlsx

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Nick, this is super helpful, sorry I’m just seeing this now.  Could you resend that spec breakdown?  It seems I have missed the opportunity to download it and this is something I can definitely use.  I appreciate your help my friend!