KRASNOGORSK-3 SPRING REMOVAL : TWO-HOLE SCREW

Cal Hawkes

Greetings

So the issue is removing the reverse-thread two-hole screw in the middle of the Krasnogorsk-3 winder. I am reasonably skilled in the camera dissembling department, but cannot fathom how to unscrew this piece without ruining the entire component. There have been words on these forums about a "special tool" that can slot into these two holes and work off the screw, but I have been unable to source a specific product or method to remove said screw. 

The screw is on there very tight, and I have tried the "two small screwdrivers" in each hole to no joy. And it seems a crying shame to ruin an otherwise decent piece of chrome.

I can't imagine changing the spring of a broken K-3 to be too rare an occurrence, so if anyone could tell me how to unscrew this little bastard, I would be very grateful.

Many thanks ?

• Premium Member

The correct tool is a pins wrench. There are different forms of it for the various face bores screws, sometimes called snake eyes head screws. They aren’t expensive. Measure the holes’ diameter before you buy.

• Premium Member

Pin wrenches tend to be larger than what you need, but are often adjustable. A 2 prong driver, or slotted spanner driver, is usually smaller and more useful for this sort of application, but needs to be the correct spacing and prong size.

Eg:

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Magnetic-2-6mm-Spanner-Screwdriver/dp/B07B7L8NHF

https://www.wihatools.com/slotted-spanner-nut-driver-m2-6

You may need to round off the prongs with a file to fit in small holes.

I often make my own by either filing down the centre of an appropriately sized slotted screwdriver (you need a good small file) or turning a tool on the lathe and fitting 2 steel pins in the end. 

15 hours ago, Cal Hawkes said:

I can't imagine changing the spring of a broken K-3 to be too rare an occurrence..

I would think it's actually quite a rare occurrence.. why go to all that trouble when you can buy another K3 for a hundred bucks? What are you replacing the spring with anyway? 

14 hours ago, Dom Jaeger said:

I would think it's actually quite a rare occurrence.. why go to all that trouble when you can buy another K3 for a hundred bucks? What are you replacing the spring with anyway?

Hi Dom

Thanks for your response and the attached links. I really appreciate it, and you make a valid point. I would be replacing the "broken" spring with a replacement I bought a while back. However, I am intrigued to hear that maybe there is nothing wrong with the spring at all. Thanks for this info @Simon Wyss . The issue with the current spring is extreme overwinding, to the extent the film slows down after only a couple of seconds. The camera is quite a nice incarnation of the K-3 compared to the later 80s models, hence my interest in getting the thing running properly.

Many thanks

10 hours ago, Simon Wyss said:

In many cases the spring is not broken but hopped loose off the core.

Hi Simon

I mean, I have a tested spring ready to replace the old overwound "broken" one. But this is definitely an interesting point. Maybe the issue lies with me meddling with perfectly good Soviet tech ?

Many thanks