Slight Slow Motion Frame Rates - Advice

Hey,

Wanted to some advice on getting a very slight slow motion effect for a music video. Don't want to do it at 50FPS as is too slow.

Thoughts on using 33 Frames per second or 30 Frames per second??? Not a lot online about it and people say the footage ends up being choppy/skips a frame. But see on 'A Ghost Story' they shot the ghost at 33 FPS (https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/14/15969746/a-ghost-story-director-david-lowery-interview-casey-affleck-rooney-mara - early on in the article).

Would love some advice/thoughts on how to go about this. The singer will also be doing some performance - so will be speeding the track up slightly depending on the frame rate.

Thanks!
Charlie

I did a music video with some shots at 30fps. The effect was subtle, but it gave a nice floaty effect to the footage and was still ok for the band to mime too.

We experimented with 50fps but the band couldn't reliably mime to it and keep time - too fast.

We did 30fps slowed to 25fps and it looked good. 

I'm sure 33fps would look good too. 

How would it be choppy or frame skip - you are still playing all the frames just slower.

If the band are miming to a track, one thing we did was after we sped it up, we pitch shifted it back down in protools - so on the set it didn't sound like chipmunks - it sounded normal but faster - this made it easier to sing along too and concentrate on the performance

• Premium Member

All the shots that feature the woman in my short 'From Life' were filmed at 32 frames per second. Apart from the end where she is running which were shot at 72 frames per second. Maybe this helps?

6 hours ago, Uli Meyer said:

All the shots that feature the woman in my short 'From Life' were filmed at 32 frames per second. Apart from the end where she is running which were shot at 72 frames per second. Maybe this helps?

This is lovely, Uli. Was it written by the same Michael Marshall Smith that wrote Only Forward, and Spares?

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, Stuart Brereton said:

This is lovely, Uli. Was it written by the same Michael Marshall Smith that wrote Only Forward, and Spares?

Hi Stuart,

Thank you! And yes, the same Michael.

Thanks for getting back to me and the examples. I've just done a test at 30 FPS and then slowed it down by 80% in a 25FPS project. And I went through frame by frame and every second one of the frames repeats itself every second.

This is what I was hearing.

Thoughts? Uli Meyer - how did you get past this?

Thanks,

Charlie

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, Charlie Manton_68324 said:

Thanks for getting back to me and the examples. I've just done a test at 30 FPS and then slowed it down by 80% in a 25FPS project. And I went through frame by frame and every second one of the frames repeats itself every second.

Thanks,

Charlie

We shot on 35mm film at 32fps and scanned the footage at 24fps. You won’t get any problems if you avoid slowing down footage in post. 

1 hour ago, Charlie Manton_68324 said:

Thanks,

Charlie

25fps isn't 80% slower then 30fps hence the glitching, its 16.6666666666666% slower (if my maths is correct)

If your having problems preventing the software from glitching.

Shoot 30fps put all your footage on a 30fps timeline and export as an image sequence. 

This will create a folder filled with numbered still images one for every frame. 

An image sequence has no specific "frame rate" its a folder full of stills.

You can import image sequences into your edit software and it can convert it back into video. 

Import the image sequence your NLE will ask you what the frame rate is - tell it that you want it to playback at 25fps It will now playback smoothly at 25fps and the motion will be slower because it was shot at 30fps. To simplify editing export the "image sequence" as a fresh (slowmo) 25fps file and use that as your edit master.

Yes this is a convoluted process and depending on software their are probably better ways to do it. But this approach will work for most software apps

That way your guaranteed that software won't iterpolate or mess with the timing of the footage.

6 minutes ago, Stuart Brereton said:

Only that there was a twist.... ?

Au contraire ...This will entice the prospective viewer even more..  a twist is just a twist till it's known.. a film has an ending ,thats a known.. if you tell someone the ending is good ..without telling them how it ends .. you have just whet their appetite .. nes par..

23 minutes ago, Robin R Probyn said:

Au contraire ...This will entice the prospective viewer even more..  a twist is just a twist till it's known.. a film has an ending ,thats a known.. if you tell someone the ending is good ..without telling them how it ends .. you have just whet their appetite .. nes par..

But once you know there’s a twist, you start to watch the movie in a different way, looking for clues...

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Stuart Brereton said:

But once you know there’s a twist, you start to watch the movie in a different way, looking for clues...

But this could be a good thing too.. non ?.. plenty film reviews mention there is a twist .. it probably makes more people want to see it..