About anamorphic lens!

Suppose I am using Atlas Orion 2X anamorphic lens with BMPCC which has Micro four third sensor size(16:9). In the post, when we stretch 2 times, so the resolution is gonna be 3840X1080 if I shoot as FHD. and we crop side so that we can make cinemascope ratio. In this case, when we stretch the image, doesn't it affect image quality at all?

And, is there big difference between shooting 4:3 sensor and 16:9 sensor when we shoot using anmorphic 2X? As long as the sensor size is similiar, the final 2.35:1 out put should be similiar right? of course there is a bit difference, but not that big difference. cuz for 4:3, we already cant get image on side. for 16:9, since it is wider ratio that 4:3, we can get image on side but for making 2.35:1 ratio, we should cut side image. That is what I thought. I really do the test using lens and cameras but I have no chance so I am just asking to you guys professionals! :) Thank you so much in advance!! 

Have a nice day! :) 

Edited by Yongmin Choi

With anamorphic lenses on a 16:9 sensor, you will only be using the center 1.33:1 area of the sensor.  So instead of 4K pixels wide, you will be using only 2.9K pixels in width.  And, because you are shooting micro 4/3, your wide 32mm lens will have the angle of view of about 65mm anamorphic lens on a full frame academy sensor.  So... 65mm equivalent will be the widest lens you'll have.

And yes, the rescaling of the image to any delivery format will likely cut your detail in half as well.

Doesn't sound like a good plan to me. If I really wanted to use these lenses, I would use a proper camera with a super 35mm academy aspect ratio sensor.

• Premium Member

Start your calculations with the final delivery aspect ratio. If you want to achieve 2.40:1, and you are working with 2x anamorphic lenses like the Atlas Orions, then the sensor aspect ratio must be 1.20:1. (1.2x2= 2.4). 

Most sensors are not this square, they are usually between 1.33:1 (4:3) and 1.89:1 (17:9). So depending on the size and shape of your camera sensor, you may be cropping the sides a little bit or quite a lot. But no matter what, you will be using a 1.20:1 crop of the sensor size.

I would start by choosing a camera recording format that uses the full sensor height. Then shoot a 2.40:1 framing chart and set up frame guides in the camera to match. You will then know how much to crop in post.

I think you will find that: 

1. You will have to crop about half the image, which makes the resolution lower and limits your field of view. 

2. The focal lengths currently available for the Atlas lenses (32,40,50,65,80,100) are very telephoto on a small Micro 4/3 sensor, so you will have trouble framing wide shots. But maybe they will work with a Micro 4/3 to PL mount speed booster, you will have to test and find out.