Kenny Williams

I'm lost on what type of resume I need. I know eventually you'll get jobs based on recommendations, but I'm not there yet. Right now I have two types of resumes. For example one resume has my job experience of when I worked in my school's library, working at a movie theater, and my current job working as a PA at a news tv station. My other resume ONLY has PROJECTS I've worked on and what position I was. I dont have many in my post school career, but I'm starting to rack up a couple of professional PA gigs. My thought process was I should sort of make a combination of these two? To show for example if I was applying for a paid internship at a media company showing I have practical real life working experience and qualifications, or if applying for a gig showing that and experience with projects I've worked on. Anyone have any advice?

It's quite common to have multiple resumes; most of the time you design it to match the position you're applying for. As in any industry, it's tough to fill up a resume without much experience, but give it time.

The key thing is to list who you've worked with in the various roles. Additionally, tailor your resume through wording that makes prior jobs relate to the one you're applying for.

But, like you said, most jobs are through recommendations and resumes are somewhat of a formality early on.

Kenny, dunno exactly. But I'd try to combine the 2. If you don't want to combine, then use a sample portion of the one that you don't want to combine if you think it will apply to the job with a link to the rest of the content.

Good luck!

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

I'd tend to not mix them, unless you don't enough roles and you feel you need to pad things out a bit.

The exception to having just projects on your resumé is showing off pertinent experience or skills. Or to put it another way, a producer doesn't need to hear about all the cafés you've waited tables at, but they might be interested to know that you've had extensive customer service experience. In my case, I've done lots of remote climbing expeditions and guiding. Listing these jobs and trips will probably be meaningless to most film industry folks reading my Cinematography CV, but if I include a list of skills such as first aid, guiding, running remote area expeditions, roped access, it's hopefully more pertinent and digestible for them. Depends on the job you're applying for.

An extension to this idea, and an extension of AJ's comment, is that as you get more CV line items racked up, consider omitting the less relevant ones.