Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

The mystery of Kerouac's 'Hallelujah, I'm a Bum...bum again' solved

Posted (edited)
Over the years I've gone over Kerouac's 'On the Road' many times. It puts me in the zone for working with my archive from that era which has a large collection of beat generation photography, films and ephemera and mimeo revolution / small press poetry. 

In 'On the Road' Kerouac makes reference to 'Hallelujah, I'm a Bum...bum again.' I never could figure out what he was talking about. Today the mystery was solved. 'Hallelujah, I'm a Bum' is a song.

Makes Me Grateful for My Bed Daniel D_ Teoli Jr_llr.jpg

Photo by D.D. Teoli Jr. Skid Row, Los Angeles 1971

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

Posted (edited)

No, didn't think of that. I heard the song by chance on a stream radio broadcast. Normally I do Google things like 'boomer's highball' or 'balling the jack.' But the bum phrase didn't mean much to me to look up. Kerouac said the person sang it, but I figured it was the same as if some said they heard me sing 'I wanna win the lotto.' Referring to a way of speaking, but not a real song.

You have to try and figure things out even with Google as one source said a boomer is a drifter and another said a boomer is a new trainee. But looks like the source saying they are a trainee is gone, can't find it. 

If you have never heard On the Road audiobook, get the Matt Dillion version. Excellent! I got it from the library inter-library loan.

That must have been something in the railroad (steam) era. I'd love to have been able to photo it.

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.