Lets talk storyboards...

Have you used storyboards for your films? Did it work out for you?

How did you find the artist?

Are there union storyboard artists for the big budget films to pick from? 

How much does it cost, on average, to get a big budget storyboard done?

Does the director usually sit down with the artist and go panel by panel to make the storyboard? Or do they just give the artist the script and let them loose?

Thanks

It all depends.  Every director and project is different.  I think to be effective, the director needs to work closely with the storyboard artist.  It really helps if the locations and sets have been scouted before making the storyboards too.

When shooting complicated scenes such as action scenes with stunts etc., storyboards can be indispensable in capturing the scene. And, once in a while, the movie actually matches the storyboard ?

storyboard.jpg

Bicycle chariot chase scene from "Me You He She" directed by David Dodson.  David created a guide book for capturing this scene and we had time to just shoot the storyboard with no additional coverage.  This was a life saver for us.

Edited by Bruce Greene
  • Upvote 1

If you're shooting on a soundstage or the film is animated, boards can be a brilliant starting point.  You can conceive of the images you want and plan accordingly.  An example would be The Matrix which used concept art in the boards and the final film is very close.

If however, you're an ultra low budget shoot and you have no ability to build or change anything in your real locations, then you are better off visiting locations ahead of time and doing a board with an actual camera and then laying out those frames in advance so you know what to get when you back for real.

It's kind of a camera / blocking rehearsal done well in advance of the shoot with standins and this can save a ton of time later on cause you can pick and choose your angles and know what will work.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Bruce Greene said:

It all depends.  Every director and project is different.  I think to be effective, the director needs to work closely with the storyboard artist.  It really helps if the locations and sets have been scouted before making the storyboards too.

When shooting complicated scenes such as action scenes with stunts etc., storyboards can be indispensable in capturing the scene. And, once in a while, the movie actually matches the storyboard ?

storyboard.jpg

Bicycle chariot chase scene from "Me You He She" directed by David Dodson.  David created a guide book for capturing this scene and we had time to just shoot the storyboard with no additional coverage.  This was a life saver for us.

Thanks...excellent example!