The Mandalorian - Greig Fraser / Barry Idoine

• Premium Member

Looks stunning! I’ve given up on the movie franchise, but given that Greig shot (in my opinion) the one Star Wars sequel that’s lived up to the greatness of the original three. I’ll give this a shot. 

Pedro Pascal is always excellent too. 

Glad someone made a thread about it. Spectacular work. Rogue One is very well shot but I don't think digital worked on that film and was the wrong format for it, just felt too glossy and clinical. For some reason, it feels right here. Shot on the Alexa LF with Panavision Ultra Vista lenses (2.76 ratio normally). Watching it in QT 1080p quality (and on Pro Res), I really dig the look of the Alexa LF, it has a nice texture to it. Would have looked better on film obviously but still great.

15 million per episode will get you that kind of production value too ? Kind of astounding. 

Pro Res version or regular 1080p here: https://vidd.pro/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=195&sid=d1714a4e12a92a9088a0204803e43c1d

(there are a couple of annoying pop up ads that lead you to different pages when trying to download the file though and for some reason, Kaspersky blocked some of those, be warned)

Edited by Manu Delpech

"Bounty hunting is a  complicated profession." - I hear a VERY familiar voice over a fast sequence of action
"Don't you agree?" - i see the FACE i had that voice associated with. :)

I was W.T.Hell?!  Herzog in Star Wars?!

:)

PS: Just red an article where Werner confesses he's newer seen any SW movie:
https://mentalfloss.com/article/582839/werner-herzog-has-never-seen-star-wars

• 2 months later...

Disney + went online today and the first episode (and the second one this Friday) is available. It's a super promising debut, it looks fantastic, the production values are as high as it gets, VFX work top notch, you can feel it's Fraser behind the camera but it feels different from Rogue One at the same time, quite a naturalistic look to it. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

3rd episode is on Disney+ and it is the best one yet. 
Everything felt absolutely perfect. 

The music is getting better and better, the sets are fantastic, they are taking their time to develop the script. 

Truly awesome tv series!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

But with all that money spent per episode, they still felt they couldn't trust a wonderful puppet and the puppeteer/s. So they did a CGI "kid" just in case. A big thanks to Herzog for standing up for the working man or woman by voicing his displeasure. I am a fan of the show, but will dump Disney + when this first season concludes in a couple of weeks. Way to small of a catalogue to stay with them.

9 minutes ago, Chris Burke said:

I am a fan of the show, but will dump Disney + when this first season concludes in a couple of weeks. Way to small of a catalogue to stay with them.

Agreed, I signed up for the trial to watch the HDR versions of all the Star Wars movies and was extremely disappointed with the Dolby HDR master of the originals.  Maybe my TV isn't up to snuff (I did take time to tweak some settings and make sure HDR was enabled correctly), or maybe I'm just not used to HDR materials, but everything felt dark and lacking contrast, even the snow on Hoth felt extremely grey. 

I'm going to check out the prequels tonight, I'm curious to see if they're any different with their more modern look.  I'm wondering if it's because of they were obviously not shot with HDR in mind, does anyone know of any good HDR versions of classic movies that I should check out?  

• Premium Member

I really liked the Mandalorian up to the point where they ran out of story and started to use old TV tripes of each episode being it's on self contained story that doesn't have any overarching narrative. I love the set design, cinematography, some of the actors are great too. However, the 30 minute episode length and the "simpsonesque" story reset every episode, is a bit upsetting. I wish it was one long narrative, I think it would work a lot better. Anyway, I'm gonna keep watching for sure because it's so well done. 

Edited by Tyler Purcell
  • Upvote 1

There is an overall narrative of the "kid" and the bounty on it's head. you are correct about the 30 minutes not being enough. Given how much they are spending, you would think there would be more. I also think they won't resolve anything in the given time left this season. Watch how Disney plus enrollment drops off a cliff come the new year. 

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Chris Burke said:

There is an overall narrative of the "kid" and the bounty on it's head. 

Yea, but you can't have a weak A story be the only through-line narrative. 

Episode 7 is a lot better, no spoilers but it's kind of what I had hoped Episode 5 or 6 would have been. 

I assume next week's episode will land on a tuesday again, christmas eve. How convenient. 

Ohh and yes, Disney Plus will have a staggering amount of drop off from people without children. I have many friends who subscribed just for their children content, I guess it's pretty good. 

5 hours ago, Chris Burke said:

There is an overall narrative of the "kid" and the bounty on it's head. you are correct about the 30 minutes not being enough. Given how much they are spending, you would think there would be more. I also think they won't resolve anything in the given time left this season. Watch how Disney plus enrollment drops off a cliff come the new year. 

Well, the Marvel shows should show up next year and in 2021, I doubt there'll be that much of a drop. According to current breakdowns, what most people are watching on Disney + are the classics. 

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, Tyler Purcell said:

Yea, but you can't have a weak A story be the only through-line narrative. 

Episode 7 is a lot better, no spoilers but it's kind of what I had hoped Episode 5 or 6 would have been. 

I assume next week's episode will land on a tuesday again, christmas eve. How convenient. 

Ohh and yes, Disney Plus will have a staggering amount of drop off from people without children. I have many friends who subscribed just for their children content, I guess it's pretty good. 

Episode 8 will be released on December, 27th. 

On 12/19/2019 at 5:22 AM, Tyler Purcell said:

I really liked the Mandalorian up to the point where they ran out of story and started to use old TV tripes of each episode being it's on self contained story that doesn't have any overarching narrative. ... 

This is one of the best things about it!

There's no overall story arc to life, and no resolution. There doesn't need to be in fiction either.

I hope we never find out who Baby Yoda is.

9 hours ago, Jay Young said:

Well, I for one thing it’s graded too dark. 

It's just the look of it. Since it's Fraser (and Baz Idoine, works a lot of 2nd unit for Fraser) who established the look, there are definite similarities with his work on Rogue One, more underexposed, moody. 

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, Mei Lewis said:

There's no overall story arc to life, and no resolution. There doesn't need to be in fiction either.

Sure there is a story arc to life. As we grow older, things happen and very rarely do they set us back to zero again. Most humans move forward, we're ever-changing and if your characters literally never change, then what's the point? 

Edited by Tyler Purcell

On 12/19/2019 at 6:22 PM, Tyler Purcell said:

I really liked the Mandalorian up to the point where they ran out of story and started to use old TV tripes of each episode being it's on self contained story that doesn't have any overarching narrative. I love the set design, cinematography, some of the actors are great too. However, the 30 minute episode length and the "simpsonesque" story reset every episode, is a bit upsetting. I wish it was one long narrative, I think it would work a lot better. Anyway, I'm gonna keep watching for sure because it's so well done. 

I agree with you on this. I hate "story of the week" type shows. The writers here do have some long range narrative elements embedded, but they don't dominate as I had hoped they could.

I think your comment got a red arrow, maybe for "TV tripes".  Tripe is nasty Scottish food made with a sheep's stomach etc. But to be fair, tropes are tripe, so I gave a green arrow.

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Gregg MacPherson said:

I think your comment got a red arrow, maybe for "TV tripes".  Tripe is nasty Scottish food made with a sheep's stomach etc. But to be fair, tropes are tripe, so I gave a green arrow.

Auto correct for the win!