ARRI SR2 Viewfinder Question

Kevin Berriz

Hi everyone,

I recently came across a Super 16 SR2 and noticed that the frame in the viewfinder is in a vertical position, am I missing something simple in getting it back to horizontal? Wanted to ask before I started taking it apart.

20190824_154500.jpg

20190824_154626.jpg

20190823_130545.jpg

• Premium Member

On SR3s there is a knob that allows you to rotate the viewfinder prism, but on SR1s and 2s the prism should be fixed to be horizontal when the viewfinder is level (as Mark said). It will rotate to keep the image horizontal as the viewfinder is angled. If the ground glass is not horizontal when the viewfinder is level, the rotating prism assembly in the housing directly above the lens mount needs to be re-aligned. 

It's been about 15 years since I adjusted one, but from memory you need to remove those slotted screws and loosen the set screws (which I think control the swivel tension) in the main viewfinder barrel and then the barrel can slide out away from the split assembly. Where it joins there should be a circular gear meshing that needs to be re-aligned. I'm not familiar with your particular video split/viewfinder model though, so it may be different.