Spacelight Lamps Longevity

I run 9 x spacelights in my rental studio to cover the cyc, and often have to rig and de-rig them between jobs. I fit them with 5 x 800W lamps so I can have 1600W, 2400W or 4000W all at 3200K.

I find the lamps don't last very long and blow regularly with the slightest provocation. Is this just the nature of these fixtures? I use GE Quartzline P2/11 lamps. Is there tougher alternative out there?

Double ended tubular lamp. In a spacelight I don't see how orientation would be an issue. Do you dim them up and down or are they full-mains power on? You should get at least 100 hours burn time or better.  Check your mains voltage as well, is it on the high side?

Edited by JD Hartman

Most of GE's Quartzline lamps specify burning position "Horizontal +/- 4 deg". If you are tilting these fixtures you might run afoul of that for some of the lamps in the fixture.    That whole family of tubular lamps are notorious for premature failures and it is often exacerbated by reflector designs that trap more heat than the lamps can take.

Normally when I run spacelights I chuck a dimmer curve in the console that limits them to somewhere between 85-90% (this depends on the dimmer itself, if the voltage of the stage is on the high side, I may go a little further).

The 10-15% reduction doesn’t tend to affect the output much, but does increase lamp life a lot. Bringing the lamps on and off softly does also help.

I find transporting with globes in the head, though often unavoidable, adds to the problem.