Lenses factor anamorphic

LINGTIAN KONG

Hello guys, 

I have a stupid and noob question, I personally never get a chance to shoot with anamorphic lenses. I am always confuse about the lenses factor on the ANA lenses, could someone help me out to give me a full explanation of the lenses factor on the anamorphic lenses? Besides, I also wondering about the field of view with different anamorphic lenses (2x, 1.5x) how you guys calculate? How's the combination of different size sensor with different lenses factors ( I just have no idea how to calculate that) Please help me out to understand deeper of the ana lenses! Thank you so much for read my question! 

• Premium Member

Standard 2X anamorphic lenses double the horizontal view of the focal length. The vertical view stays the same. But you’d really have to compare them to a spherical lens image cropped to 2.40 to have some basis of comparison in terms of view or else you are just confusing yourself further.

Then you’d have to know the sensor area being used in each case.

Keep in mind that if 2.40 is the goal, a 2X anamorphic lens only uses a 1.20 sensor area to achieve this, if you record a wider sensor area than this, you’ll end up cropping it, so your field of view calculations are based on the size of the sensor area used for the final image.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1